• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wheel weights?

Key is to go down the rathole and know where to stop. Some guys on castboolits have over 100 molds. That's some kinda compulsive issues. If you keep it to a few calibers (in my case one), it will pay for itself VERY quickly if you shoot often. Think 1 to 2 cents per bullet instead of 9 to 13 cents each. RCBS bottom pour with a PID is something I wouldn't do without at this point. My other nerdy pleasure has been powdercoating:

i.imgur.com_jfD5RYI.jpg

That's next for me...........

I do have a"few" molds, however I got them when I had an FFL at wholesale cost so I'm saving money right?....

Man being patient is tough when thinking and reading about casting, reloading, powder coating.

Will have a Lee 50th kit on the way soon, then a Lyman casting set, already have the toaster oven and gloves on standby for coating.

Playing on mountainmolds designer is addicting, would love to design a 440-460gr slug that I can throw at 1000-1050fps. Know I got to cool my jets and stick with starting on the Lee 400gr, for $30 can’t go wrong.

I heard about fishing weights too but have no idea where to get those at a price to be worth it.

Just signed up on castboolits, more reading, yippee ky yay

Wheel weights are still available, however, you need to avoid the name brand shops and stop by some of the small independent shops. I find that many of them still use lead in they usually just chunk the old weights. Range lead is also good if you have a range that will let you pick it up.

What about fishing weights?

There's nothing wrong with using fishing weights for casting however, it's prudent to keep in mind that most lead fishing weights are PURE lead, that means it's soft. It's great for black powder and shotgun slugs, but not so much for smokeless powder pistol or rifle projectiles unless it's mixed with tin or similar to harden.

Got 70 pounds of soft lead for free the other day and presently trying to figure out how I want to bring the hardness up. Either cut 50/50 with WW and throw in a little tin, or buy some ‘superhard’ antimony alloy from Rotometals and throw in some tin. I’d any black powder guys wanna trade some COWW for pure, I’m all ears!

Got 70 pounds of soft lead for free the other day and presently trying to figure out how I want to bring the hardness up. Either cut 50/50 with WW and throw in a little tin, or buy some ‘superhard’ antimony alloy from Rotometals and throw in some tin. I’d any black powder guys wanna trade some COWW for pure, I’m all ears!

If you are compulsive about knowing your exact composition, go to a plumbing supply store and buy some bar solder.

I'd trade you some bona fide linotype but the distance is a little far. Bullets cast from linotype look like the Lone Ranger's.

Totally new to reloading and casting but reading as much as I can. Looking around for local wheel weights I realize it's more difficult to source them here in lawrenceville, Buford, Johns creek than I thought.

Is eBay, rotometals the way to go?

Would be for casting 325gr 480 ruger wfngc and 400gr

Believe wheel weights water dropped would be hard enough and prevent leading when sized. I guess that's a second question, if I'm on the money for the bnh for 480 ruger 1100-1300fps

Every body has an opinion on this. AFAIC wheel weights are just too trashy to deal with. If you put any value at all on your time, by the time you smelt them and get the metal cleaned up, you haven't saved any money.

I cruise the obvious places - metal recyclers, and such. There still is lot of pure lead floating around if you know what to look for.

Makes me shiver to say so, but a lot of purveyors of lead on Fleabay. They take advantage of fix rate postage, and the costs are not out of this world. Just be aware that a lot of them are selling "recycled lead", i.e. wheelweights, as pure lead. It will work, but it's not prime metal. Try to find a seller that in fact is selling pure lead - that way you have know base to start with.

Pure lead is easier to find than wheel weights in my opinion, Get a lead hardness tester, the Buffalo Arms unit works well for bulk ingots. Rotometals runs good deals from time to time for mixing. Castbolits website has a calculator (excel file) that you can play with to figure out what you have or want, then you can buy alloys accordingly. And check Craigslist for lead or reloading

Back
Top Bottom