• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

when do i need to plant millett and sun flowers for dove season opening day?

Thought about doing this as well. I’m not 100% sure when, but I drive past the McGraw Ford dove field every day and could let you know when they plant the Millet over there.

I know UGA does it but I would imagine other schools would to. It wouldn't hurt to have the soil tested before you till it up. They can tell you what to put in it to make it flourish.

Unless you have a way to exclude deer, planting sunflowers is a waste of money. The deer will clean them out in one night.

Millet can be planted as short as 60 days before opening day. But that's risky because it depends on getting rain at the right time. The millet has to cure for best effect, and having it rain on it a week or so before opening day is about the worst luck you can have.

90 days is a good window for millet. I've had good luck with foxtail millet, and proso, - most people stick with browntop because it's so cheap and easy to grow.

How do the wma lands have sunflowers, I know the deer like them but what would be the min. To plant to account for that

How do the wma lands have sunflowers, I know the deer like them but what would be the min. To plant to account for that

Beats me. I have planted as much as 5 acres of solid sunflowers, and the deer will wipe them in out in one or two nights. And this is in an area that doesn't have an especially high deer population.

sunflowers are great, but they are expensive and require additional land prep - I just don't think they are worth the time and effort. YMMV.

millet with some field peas does just fine.

Beats me. I have planted as much as 5 acres of solid sunflowers, and the deer will wipe them in out in one or two nights. And this is in an area that doesn't have an especially high deer population.

sunflowers are great, but they are expensive and require additional land prep - I just don't think they are worth the time and effort. YMMV.

millet with some field peas does just fine.
Good 2 know, I was going to plant sunflowers this year in about a 5 ac. Plot.

Yeah the deer will wipe them out usually.
We use an e femce for sunflowers. Im guessing the lack of deer
on wma might help. Then there is the weather. Seems like we get them
in the ground before May . Millet is easier and can be planted later, but
then its got to have good rain. Field prep is another thing. Doves seem to love row
planted sunflowers with the weeds left alone. Mow strips to keep the birds
coming up until they require you leave it alone, otherwise they might
flag the field. It helps to harrow lightly in strips. Doves like bare dirt. Mow low.
Soil sample couldnt hurt. We been using instant lime. Expensive but
it will grow great sunflowers inside an e fence. We plant small areas so im not sure
best way to fence a large field. Alot goes into a great dove field. Read up on it for
more info. Hope that wasnt too much info. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom