• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When do you mount a deer?/Show off your Mounts!

C'mon guys...I'm disappointed with everyone! OP is asking, "when do you mount a deer" and no jokes about sneaking up on them while your pants are down or something like that? I guess it's early and the drinking hasn't started yet!

C'mon guys...I'm disappointed with everyone! OP is asking, "when do you mount a deer" and no jokes about sneaking up on them while your pants are down or something like that? I guess it's early and the drinking hasn't started yet!

The court order says I cant discuss it on public forums. I cant go within 500 feet of a zoo either.

I was expecting that too!

If it's a big rack, and preferably an unusual rack, I'll do a shoulder mount. If it's a not so big rack, but a memorable hunt, I'll do a euro mount.

I have a big 10 pointer with a nice drop time, and he's a full shoulder mount. He was an old war horse that was at least 5.5 years old. I had him on camera for 2 years, and he was one of three deer I was chasing that year. And although it was cool I got him, he popped his head out about 10 minutes before the end of legal light, and it was over in seconds.

The 7 pointer I killed a few days ago was one of the funnest hunts I've ever had outside of stalking deer or hogs. Being surrounded by at least 7 deer in thick woods and all within 20 - 40 yards for at least 10 minutes with a doe blowing and this buck cruising in the brush not giving me a shot the entire time was pretty cool. Body wise he was big at around 200 lbs, and he was on the maturing side at 3.5 or 4.5 years, but he was only a 7 pointer. He would've been a monster next year, but after that build-up, there was no way he was walking if he gave me the shot, and he did. I'm getting him euro mounted, and I'll never forget that hunt.

If it's a big rack, and preferably an unusual rack, I'll do a shoulder mount. If it's a not so big rack, but a memorable hunt, I'll do a euro mount.

I have a big 10 pointer with a nice drop time, and he's a full shoulder mount. He was an old war horse that was at least 5.5 years old. I had him on camera for 2 years, and he was one of three deer I was chasing that year. And although it was cool I got him, he popped his head out about 10 minutes before the end of legal light, and it was over in seconds.

The 7 pointer I killed a few days ago was one of the funnest hunts I've ever had outside of stalking deer or hogs. Being surrounded by at least 7 deer in thick woods and all within 20 - 40 yards for at least 10 minutes with a doe blowing and this buck cruising in the brush not giving me a shot the entire time was pretty cool. Body wise he was big at around 200 lbs, and he was on the maturing side at 3.5 or 4.5 years, but he was only a 7 pointer. He would've been a monster next year, but after that build-up, there was no way he was walking if he gave me the shot, and he did. I'm getting him euro mounted, and I'll never forget that hunt.
Thats what I want to hear. I heard some clubs say you can't shoot a buck unless your going to mount it. And if you don't you pay a penalty.

1002161824.jpg

My first and only mount. I think this thread needs to be the show em off thread. So....show em off.

Thats what I want to hear. I heard some clubs say you can't shoot a buck unless your going to mount it. And if you don't you pay a penalty.

I understand the QDM mentality, and it's fun to kill a big buck. But at the end of the day, a good hunt is a good hunt. And I'm a meat eater first and foremost so I won't be limited by anything other than morality and the law.

I personally only take 2 deer a year anyway so there's nothing I could ever do to even hurt the small population that traverses my land. Although it does suck being done this early in the year so hopefully the yotes will feel my wrath. :laser:

Back
Top Bottom