• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When do you mount a deer?/Show off your Mounts!

20170120_135620.jpg
I had this one done at mcmickin in Cartersville, only took a few months and I had missed opportunities at him the 3 years prior to getting him. In hindsight I'm glad he made me wait.

I understand the QDM mentality, and it's fun to kill a big buck. But at the end of the day, a good hunt is a good hunt. And I'm a meat eater first and foremost so I won't be limited by anything other than morality and the law.

I personally only take 2 deer a year anyway so there's nothing I could ever do to even hurt the small population that traverses my land. Although it does suck being done this early in the year so hopefully the yotes will feel my wrath. :laser:
Normally after I get one nice buck I call it a day. Maybe a doe.

My profile pic is the first buck I ever killed. Mounting it wasnt my choice or my money so I didnt complain. I'll never have another shoulder mount done unless I kill one that is significantly bigger. Makes no sense to me to pay that much for a shoulder mount and wait that long for it for anything less than 140 inches when I can have a euro mount done for free or $100 at most and get it back in less than a month.

My profile pic is the first buck I ever killed. Mounting it wasnt my choice or my money so I didnt complain. I'll never have another shoulder mount done unless I kill one that is significantly bigger. Makes no sense to me to pay that much for a shoulder mount and wait that long for it for anything less than 140 inches when I can have a euro mount done for free or $100 at most and get it back in less than a month.
Very cool, thats what I wanted to hear! I like hearing what people standards are and thats pretty respectable!

I have always appreciated taxidermy, and looking at the memories of hunts. Each one has a story, and that's the cool thing about it.

Taxidermy also has a nostalgic effect on me. I always liked checking out the deer of my Dad, uncles, friends' Dads, etc.

I like having those memories close to me, so I keep most of mine in my office, and a few in my Dad's barn. I have deer, bobcats, foxes, a rattlesnake, mule deer, antelope, turkey beards, pheasants, etc. I even have a freeze dried piranha.

I will have to be a very special buck to have another one mounted. My son's first buck will go on the wall.

My son got his first decent buck last weekend and we're having it mounted and that's the first I've had in a while

In at the point where if I'm shoulder mounting one, its gotta be much bigger than anything already on the wall. Got lots of euros hanging around.

Back
Top Bottom