• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When Do You React

It would depend on your current level of prepairedness. If you are person without, you probably rush to store and panic buy if you are person who is ready? Check batteries and magazines because you have 48hrs until people freak out

Question: What circumstances would cause you to take immediate initial steps for a wide-area long-term grid down event?

How would you make the determination that the power outage was really a grid down event and not a local failure soon to be repaired?

The faster you made that determination, the sooner you could move on to taking the first few vital initial steps - filling tubs with water, getting prescriptions filled, topping-off water, food, gathering loved ones, etc..
A: If there was an abrupt power outage.
Step 1- I would check email for the power company alert with their expected duration
Step 2- If email shows it's local and expected to be fixed soon I will disregard. If no alert then move on to cell communication.
Step 3- If no cell signal I would hop in the vehicle and recon the area. if I make it to my gym with no power anywhere I'll assume it's more than an isolated neighborhood power outage. Step 3 is about where I would assume it is getting serious, and think more along the lines of "wide-area, long-term".
**But it also depends on the situation. If we just had a hurricane then step three wouldn't be as much of a concern. If there are no obvious causes, and it just feels weird then I would start initial preparations while trying to communicate with friends further out.

With China testing out there hyper sonic nuclear missile system and with reports saying they plan to double their nuclear capacity in the next 10 years, the chance for an eastern assault on the United States is more plausible than before.

I wouldn't want to be working/living too close to Altanta, much less have to go through it to get back home.

With China testing out there hyper sonic nuclear missile system and with reports saying they plan to double their nuclear capacity in the next 10 years, the chance for an eastern assault on the United States is more plausible than before.

I wouldn't want to be working/living too close to Altanta, much less have to go through it to get back home.
If we’re close enough to the bullseye we don’t have to worry about prepping ;-)

I think your reaction depends on where you live and who your support network is.

When Katrina hit New Orleans, the best thing to do was pack your sh*t and leave. Poorer people had fewer options, money and resources and did not want to go so they suffered the most. Others left long before the storm hit and moved in with relatives , friends or into shelters in areas that were safe.

I think everyone should do some prepping in one form or another but there is certainly no one size fits all approach. Do the best you can where you are with what you have sums it up for me. I live in a neighborhood and have had the same neighbors for many years. We help each other out .

My mother and sister live in the same city that I do. We all live in different sections of town. Never have had a city or county wide power outage because of the system design. If the power goes out for an extended period of time we go to whoever's house was not affected and stay with them. No need to buy generators.

We all buy items we use and foods we like to eat and stockpile as space permits. I believe the best prepping you can do is to maintain good /strong / family / friend / church relationships along with a RELIABLE VEHICLE.

The National Guard , FEMA and the Red Cross will show up at some point unless you live in the woods.

Back
Top Bottom