• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When Does Preparedness Change from Diligence in to Obsession

Leveraction44

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
33   0
Reaction score
I guess it boils down to Consequences, Cost, Effectiveness, and Probability.

That is the Consequences if the scenario occurs, and you are unprepared.
That is the Cost of being prepared.
That is the Effectiveness of the measures to help.
That is the Probability of the scenario occurring.

What makes the most sense to prepare for is a scenario where:

The Consequences are High
The Cost is Low
The Effectiveness is High
The Probability is High

Example: Say high school sweethearts are having regular sexual intercourse. Let's say a pregnancy and baby at that age could be very bad for their futures. Maybe they decide to 100% use condoms and birth control pills.
Consequences: High-------------Cost: Low-------------Effectiveness: High-----------Probability: High

You get the idea.

What makes the Least sense to prepare for is a scenario where:

The Consequences are Low
The Cost is High
The Effectiveness is Low
The Probability is Low

I think this scenario is not often an indulgence.

I think the most gray area is a scenario where:

The Consequences are High
The Cost is High
The Effectiveness is High
The Probability is Low

Is it worth putting 90% of all your financial resources in to preparing for something that is not likely to happen in your lifetime? I would answer No to that question.

So this post deals primarily with this last scenario. Different people will evaluate each scenario differently. Maybe at some point it is a matter of vision versus blindness. Maybe at some point it is a matter of sanity versus paranoia.

So what do you think?

Funny the though process on this. We all bitch about auto home and life insurance payments, but when we need it we are happy.

Well this is my Home auto and life insurance that I can keep for when All those other guys, won’t or can’t or are gone !

I think everyone has their own level of paranoia and comfort on this. I take a middle ground and try to be moderately to well prepared for a variety of circumstances. 50 pounds of beans and 50 pounds of rice cost less than $60 total from Sam’s, take up little room and will store for decades if needed. A low risk bet on a moderate probability occurrence. Prepping is a mindset as well as supplies and equipment. The truth is that no man can predict with certainty what will happen.

Nothing wrong with that,
How many rounds of ammo do you have for each weapon?
We could knock this around 6 ways from Sunday, bottom line.... what’s good for you, your family ,situation and you wallet!

Prepare for little things like how to change a tire or replace your water heater. Learn to fix stuff like a leaky faucet or a light that flickers. Learn to cultivate a garden. Learn to store food. Stay out of debt. Keep your gas tank full. Learn to ride a bike.

When you’re capable of handling the small emergencies the big ones aren’t so big.

Nothing wrong with that,
How many rounds of ammo do you have for each weapon?
We could knock this around 6 ways from Sunday, bottom line.... what’s good for you, your family ,situation and you wallet!
My luck will run out before my ammo.

Back
Top Bottom