• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When Does Preparedness Change from Diligence in to Obsession

This depends on who you ask honestly. I think you need enough to get a garden producing, and 2 chickens per person plus a rooster. Which I don't have. You can survive on a potato and an egg a day, not well but... But at some point you have to be able to replenish when there are no supplies being brought to your grocery store as well as produce ahead for winter months.

Here is something I use for my day job:
Risk-Matrix-1024x550-1024x550.png

To answer the initial question, if you use this approach you will invest your money to prepare for things that have a higher likelihood and/or consequence.

The idea is to invest in things that fall in the Orange or Red areas.

Example:
Problem: An EMP takes out the grid and all electronics
Likelihood - Very Unlikely
Severity - Severe/Significant
Outcome Yellow
Recommendation: Don't wrap everything in a faraday cage and statics bags

Problem: I live in a hurricane area and the season is upon us
Likelihood - Likely
Outcome Orange/Red
Recommendation: Buy Generator, food, beer, water filtration, more beer, etc.

Hope this helps

If you spend 90% of your time/money on prepping i think you have some kind of mental issues. Quality of life is probably low. I wouldnt want to be around someone like that. And i know people like this. They obsess over every bad thing that happens and hang on to Qanon’s pecker like its gospel. Like many on here i have stuff for me and my family to survive for a descent amount of time. I teach my oldest girl different survival skills but the last i want to do is freak my family out over everything that could end the world

Here is something I use for my day job:
Risk-Matrix-1024x550-1024x550.png

To answer the initial question, if you use this approach you will invest your money to prepare for things that have a higher likelihood and/or consequence.

The idea is to invest in things that fall in the Orange or Red areas.

Example:
Problem: An EMP takes out the grid and all electronics
Likelihood - Very Unlikely
Outcome Yellow
Recommendation: Don't wrap everything in a faraday cage and statics bags

Problem: I live in a hurricane area and the season is upon us
Likelihood - Likely
Outcome Orange/Red
Recommendation: Buy Generator, food, beer, water filtration, more beer, etc.

Hope this helps

So your matrix is Probability versus Consequences. I included Cost and Effectiveness - I think both are worthy of consideration. Your examples makes the point about different people seeing things differently. Many would see the EMP scenario, either man-made or sun induced, as Unlikely, or Possible, or even Likely. Also, the severity between an EMP and a hurricane are graded the same in your examples. That seems to miss the mark by manyfold. I like your matrix, and I realize no evaluation will be the same for everyone. If I lived in a Hurricane prone area, I would definitely prepare for that likelihood.

It's hard to put a price on peace of mind.
Everyone is different.

For some $300 in fives dollar bills and 3 days of food and water like the American Red Cross recommends is enough.
For others that's not nearly enough.

I knew when I got where I needed to be, I knew because I found I had peace of mind.
Easier for some than others I'd reckon....

It's hard to put a price on peace of mind.
Everyone is different.

For some $300 in fives dollar bills and 3 days of food and water like the American Red Cross recommends is enough.
For others that's not nearly enough.

I knew when I got where I needed to be, I knew because I found I had peace of mind.
Easier for some than others I'd reckon....
Whether you are prepared or paranoid it can get expensive either way

Funny the though process on this. We all ***** about auto home and life insurance payments, but when we need it we are happy.

Well this is my Home auto and life insurance that I can keep for when All those other guys, won’t or can’t or are gone !
Like jumper cables or an air pump in your trunk. Nobody thinks or cares about it until you need it. Kinda like cash in the hidden spot. $1500 aint a lot of money...until you need it.

So your matrix is Probability versus Consequences. I included Cost and Effectiveness - I think both are worthy of consideration. Your examples makes the point about different people seeing things differently. Many would see the EMP scenario, either man-made or sun induced, as Unlikely, or Possible, or even Likely. Also, the severity between an EMP and a hurricane are graded the same in your examples. That seems to miss the mark by many fold. I like your matrix, and I realize no evaluation will be the same for everyone. If I lived in a Hurricane prone area, I would definitely prepare for that likelihood.

Good feedback. You are absolutely correct on your observation. Risk Rating is subjective and when I use this at work we have a group of people who discuss and agree on the likelihood and severity before we employ solutions (or not). We also employ statistical models to back up our positions.

This matrix was one that I plucked off google. There are refined versions that actually employ statistical probabilities and casualty rates that take a little more skill to use but can be helpful.

I do live in a hurricane zone so my prepping is centered around that hazard as my primary. I also live in a fairly suburban/rural area so things like social unrest are unlikely so I prep for those much less although there is overlap.

Here is how I evaluated a primary risk when I used to have an apartment in College Park:
Hazard: Social Unrest (riots, demonstrations, looting)
Likelihood - Possible/Likely (again, this is subjective but it could happen if there is a police shooting, etc.)
Outcome Orange/Red
Recommendation: Develop and practice egress plan to get out of the city (using an area study), check and recheck security load out (i.e. the fun stuff), keep vehicle fueled and ready, train, practice, train., Buy beef jerky, beer etc.

Back
Top Bottom