• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When is it ok? I need facts.

Banging on the window means he is outside with a divider between them, and there’s a reasonable means to evade. If he breaks the window out and passes the window sill then that’s a different story

Wrong, If I understand this correctly:

Defense of habitation; (here habitation means dwelling, motor vehicle, or place of business) A person is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if any one of the following is met:

1. A person is breaking\has broken into your home in a violent and tumultuous manner, and you think that the intruder is going to assault you or someone else living there.
  2. A person who is not a member of the family or household and who unlawfully and forcibly enters the residence and you know it is an unlawful entry.
  3. The person using such force reasonably believes that the entry is made or attempted for the purpose of committing a felony therein and that such force is necessary to prevent the commission of the felony.
(16-3-23)

Banging on the window means he is outside with a divider between them, and there’s a reasonable means to evade. If he breaks the window out and passes the window sill then that’s a different story

how would this be any different than if someone is trying to break into your house and is banging on a window? still protection of personal property at that point

Start dating a cop, then they will always be around.

Defense of habitation; (here habitation means dwelling, motor vehicle, or place of business) A person is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if any one of the following is met:

1. A person is breaking\has broken into your home in a violent and tumultuous manner, and you think that the intruder is going to assault you or someone else living there.
  2. A person who is not a member of the family or household and who unlawfully and forcibly enters the residence and you know it is an unlawful entry.
  3. The person using such force reasonably believes that the entry is made or attempted for the purpose of committing a felony therein and that such force is necessary to prevent the commission of the felony.
(16-3-23)
excatly right

(16-3-23)
I stand corrected. However the case would be much less gray if shot once the window was broken rather than being fired upon for banging on the window.

This too is just my opinion.

Thanks, the law is and has been involved. We were just notified this morning the person just got out of jail. As of right now I'm working with our lawyer to see what we can do about getting a restraining order. I was just worried and wanted a little extra information.. I do have a firearm for protection but with all the laws I'm terrified to use it even if i have to.. I shoot for practice all the time. But it has come to the point that I may need to protect my family with it and I just want to be sure and clear of what the laws are and when it is okay like I said I have kids to take care of and rather not be in jail for the rest of their lives because of a dirtbag.

Just curious, if you have an attorney, why join a forum with strangers to ask these questions? Why not ask your attorney who would probably be more qualified?

GA law says if you fill the threat of bodily harm or death, lethal force is justifiable, where you are at is irrelevant.

If you are in a car, and he is banging on the window, drive off.

Back
Top Bottom