• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

when sh*t goes south?

one long gun for a sub urban SHTF

• Total voters
QUOTE: "I am not worried so much for food, hell I have hunted all my life so we will eat. "

MY REPLY: Yeah, but right now (and all your life, I'm assuming) you're one of a relatively SMALL number of hunters competing for thriving game. What happens when every Tom, Dick, and Harry is tromping around the same woods, and every public park, every field behind an industrial park, every "buffer zone" along every river and stream, hunting the same game you are?

And, how successful will YOUR hunting be when other well-experienced outdoorsmen, good hunters themselves, choose to ignore any game seasons or limits and shoot 5X as many game animals as the law would normally allow?
What's THAT going to do to the population of deer, rabbit, bear, etc?

Add to this the fact that some will see you as competition or in some cases food and put a bullet in you.

I did make a survival major f**k up. If you choose a low place surrounded by hills, a man with a tactical mind would go up the hills and then it would be like shooting fish in a barrel. I didn't think of that. Maybe a flat are along a clean stream. Then you could dig elaborate trench system around your living area. Hell there is probably something wrong with that as well. How some tactical minds chime in here?

Almost any terrain can be used against you. Flat land makes you sniper bait. Thick trees and you cant see people coming or could be burned out. Building on high ground is probably the best but, it gives your position away. Any fire or light at night can be seen from pretty far away. Youll pretty much be watching your back every second. Traveling in a group might be safer but Will be easier to spot. Traveling alone will be harder to detect but if you are spotted you may have to engage in combat OR they simply may walk the other way. Knowing that a scout may report your position would it be wise to let this guy leave? He hasnt done anything to you. It will be a hard life.

How much of an advantage in having "the high ground" in a small arms gunfight?

Unlike spears or arrows or rocks-- the weapons of our ancestors 1000+ years ago-- modern bullets fly at 30 degree up angles about as well as 30-degree downward angles.

I believe the sniper that made the record shot was on top of a building. If I were in a shoot out, Id much rather be aiming down than up. Would you rather be on a building behind brick cover aiming down at a guy behind a car door or would you rather be behind a car door aiming up at the guy on a building? A .01% advantage is still an advantage. Probably one reason when snipers decide to go nutz and shoot people the seem to pick a building as a platform. On top of the building I work at I can see much farther than if im lookin out the window.

I still think moving in groups of more than six to eight would be beneficial. There is strength in numbers. If a raiding party spotter spots a group of eight men and women armed to the teeth, I think they will decide not to take the chance of loosing their own men. Moving frequently would be beneficial and do the nomad thing. I do believe if you get deep enough in the woods that the raiding parties would be less likely to venture that far in. I would imagine they would stick closer to roads and paths used frequently since those would be used for easier travel. You are right it would be a hard life. Doing without the things we take for granted would be missed.

Back
Top Bottom