• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Where’s all the old motorcycles? Where’d the knuckles, pans, and shovelheadz go?

Thanks Bro, I have done it works.View attachment 1690697
DSCN2217[1].JPG
Do you have any 3 1/2 gal fat bob tanks looking to trade some 5s for a pair.
Regards

another way to stop sumping if your Bike will sit for awhile
is to plug or pinch the supply tube

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a set of 3-1/2 gal but I'm going to hang on to them, sorry

3-1/2 gal re-pop tanks can be had for under $125

if your getting rid of the 5gals that came on your Bike, I would hold on to them
I think your bike is a FXEF (F) meaning Fat Bob, I would not get rid of a set of 5gal OEM tanks; unless you get a good price
the tank steel is thicker as are the mounting tabs
mounting tabs are usually the first thing to break on the re-pops

what brand Spring is that?

and what is that chain above the primary
is it a solid chain your using for shift linkage?

good job on the tube bending
I've heard horror stories about using copper but as you used rubber connections at the end they should not crack/split from vibration

also never seen brass tube for the top oiling, only chrome tube (which is probably brass underneath)
did you make those also?

looks like you made the pipes also

I like your pressure gauge location as opposed to the rocker box

that is a sharp looking Bike you did a fine job
shovelhead.us_forum_images_icons_icon14.gif

another way to stop sumping if your Bike will sit for awhile
is to plug or pinch the supply tube

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a set of 3-1/2 gal but I'm going to hang on to them, sorry

3-1/2 gal re-pop tanks can be had for under $125

if your getting rid of the 5gals that came on your Bike, I would hold on to them
I think your bike is a FXEF (F) meaning Fat Bob, I would not get rid of a set of 5gal OEM tanks; unless you get a good price
the tank steel is thicker as are the mounting tabs
mounting tabs are usually the first thing to break on the re-pops

what brand Spring is that?

and what is that chain above the primary
is it a solid chain your using for shift linkage?

good job on the tube bending
I've heard horror stories about using copper but as you used rubber connections at the end they should not crack/split from vibration

also never seen brass tube for the top oiling, only chrome tube (which is probably brass underneath)
did you make those also?

looks like you made the pipes also

I like your pressure gauge location as opposed to the rocker box

that is a sharp looking Bike you did a fine job
shovelhead.us_forum_images_icons_icon14.gif
I think I am going to go with old school FLHS look when I go down for frame detail and powder coat. Chain is welded for shift linkage.Copper seams to works as long as one end has rubber connections to help with vibration . Front end is a hardbody with one piece legs through the trees not two piece welded like most and 1" front legs instead or 3/4 with grease fittings on rockers.Do you have a floor board, shift and brake FL type setup? I am looking for one not aftermarket. Hope things are well with you and wife.
Regards
Dennis

Harley’s in general are going to Germany and other parts of Europe as quick as they can get them there. I just dropped off a Sportster, Virago and two vMax’s at the port, took a Sportster to a freight forwarder in Denver and a Road King to a forwarder in Atlanta. All headed over seas.

Please, let's here it.

I can't add much more to what I said above in POST #30

other than I now think tapping the check ball is not a good idea as some folks don't know how to tap, if ya know what i mean

too many words to type
I will call you tomorrow, Im winding down the End of Season Rabbit Hunt Party in South Georgia

hint - start with check ball under big flathead screw next to rear exhaust lifter
pull screen and spring (DO NOT STRETCH SPRING, DO NOT DAMAGE SCREEN, I use hemostats) look for wear on check ball (that is called the tappet lifter screen and check ball) sometimes replacing the ball works, depending on wear, do ball 1st it's simple if that don't work i will tell how to lap ball seat
FYI: check ball is .33"
but
then again there are 33 other possibility for Sumping

Back
Top Bottom