• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Where and how to shoot

Uncle Jimmy

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
34   0
Reaction score
Howdy. Two questions, somewhat new to Atlanta.

1) Any suggestions on outdoor places to shoot around ATL?

2) I recently acquired my first HD shotgun (Beretta 1301), suggestions for shotty classes/courses?

Thanks!

Im a member at the south river gun club and its really hard to beat. Multiple enclosed pits, bays for steel targets, skeet and trap, and a long range rifle range. Theres guys that teach classes every weekend and you can check their calendar for the website or contact info of the person doing the class.

Outdoors and close to Atlanta? Unless you're from Texas you probably won't consider any of them as "close".

One of the best deals going for outdoor ranges is the GA Wildlife Management Areas. 20 bucks to shoot all year. You should check, however, as some don't allow shotguns on their rifle or pistol ranges.

Welcome to GA and good luck with your training!

I second South River Gun Club. I just renewed for the 8th year I think. Great, member only range.

Paul Forgey teaches out there too on the weekends. Awesome instructor. I trained with him for years.

I second South River Gun Club. I just renewed for the 8th year I think. Great, member only range.

Paul Forgey teaches out there too on the weekends. Awesome instructor. I trained with him for years.

Thanks for the reminder, I have to go renew.

Outdoors and close to Atlanta? Unless you're from Texas you probably won't consider any of them as "close".

One of the best deals going for outdoor ranges is the GA Wildlife Management Areas. 20 bucks to shoot all year. You should check, however, as some don't allow shotguns on their rifle or pistol ranges.

FYI clybel wma pistol and rifle is closed for renovations but the shotgun range is open. Buy the fishing license to shoot all year. About 60 minutes east so with gas so high you might want to pay range fees.

I know a couple of Rangemaster certified instructors around each side of town that are also certified to teach shotgun. Two of them use a 1301 as primary. PM me if interested in their emails. I second the outdoor gun club idea such as Riverbend, Cherokee, and South River gun clubs. A rather safe indoor range with helpful range officers on duty includes Ga Gun Club in Buford. Most of those might not let you shoot steel shot at the back stop but you can still practice with approved ammo or lead shot. Plus one +1 on Wildlife management WMA ranges very cheap and on every side of town. Charley Elliot on I20 east and a couple north of Atlanta. I highly recommend measuring distances in your house and around home in paces then test those distances on cardboard with your desired home defense load. Not just the pattern but tendency for flyers. Can't say enough about Federal Flite Control.

ha, I am indeed from TX so anything under an hour or so away is considered close

Back
Top Bottom