• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Where are all the new cars?

There’s no shortage of drivers.

The annual employee turnover in the trucking industry averages 130%

the average truck driver quits after 3-4 months . Because the companies treat them so bad.

The average pay is almost exactly the same as it was 30 years ago.
In 1995 I had my own used rig that cost me $15k, and I was getting paid $1.25 a mile to haul someone else’s trailer and cargo.

Today, 30 years later, the average is $1.65 a mile , when it should be around $4 dollars just to have kept up with inflation.

the shortage is of companies that will pay the drivers a good wage and treat them like human beings.

that’s why a lot of the truck drivers now, are immigrants.
They will work for next to nothing and won’t complain about the way they get treated.
Right now freight is off the chain, I’d say the minimum would be somewhere close to $3-4 per mile. I leave at about $2 and get paid round trip, I come back empty so that’s like $4 a mile. They also pay my road taxes, tag, very reasonable rate for repairs, I’m home every other day and weekends. After expenses I’m making 4.5k each week. If I didn’t insist on balanced home time I’d be clearing 8k every week. There’s a lot of guys making double and triple that right now for normal freight. Oversized stuff it 6-8 per mile if it’s not specialized. Company drivers can expect to make $.60+ a mile right now. But they have to stay gone, there’s just not enough drivers for them to get home as much.

Car manufacturers expected a huge drop in demand due to covid so they planned accordingly. They didn't expect the government to print six trillion dollars out of thin air.

Car manufacturers expected a huge drop in demand due to covid so they planned accordingly. They didn't expect the government to print six trillion dollars out of thin air.
No planned. But car factories and supplier factories were shutdwon too.
I can say that Toyota has enough chips now, but they are dealing with backlogs and retooling lines for the new model year.

I think everyone figured covid was going to sink the economy, at least a decent sized recession , I certainly did, and while that’s the case for restaurants and bars and cruise lines and motels and amusement parks , every other sector of the economy has taken of like a rocket.

The housing is a good example,
Sales or existing homes and new construction slowed down for 6-9 months, then took off like a rocket.

Right now freight is off the chain, I’d say the minimum would be somewhere close to $3-4 per mile. I leave at about $2 and get paid round trip, I come back empty so that’s like $4 a mile. They also pay my road taxes, tag, very reasonable rate for repairs, I’m home every other day and weekends. After expenses I’m making 4.5k each week. If I didn’t insist on balanced home time I’d be clearing 8k every week. There’s a lot of guys making double and triple that right now for normal freight. Oversized stuff it 6-8 per mile if it’s not specialized. Company drivers can expect to make $.60+ a mile right now. But they have to stay gone, there’s just not enough drivers for them to get home as much.
Trucking is nuts right now.

and you’re accurate with the rates.
I know a guy that’s driving for a small company that does specialized oversize overweight heavy haul, and he gets a percentage of the gross, and the company charges right at $10 a loaded mile. They run a lot of empty miles though. But he averages 80 cents a mile and is home every weekend.

but I also know companies that pay their leased on o/o’s $1.63 a mile and why all their leased on o/o’s haven’t left for greener pastures is a mystery to me .

Back
Top Bottom