• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Where did you take Basic training or Boot Camp?

Fort Jackson, SC, summer of 1983. Drill Sgts: SFC Colon-Robles, and SSG Clayton (one blue eye, one green with a swath of white hair on the side of his head). We were A-2-1, in "Old Hollywood". I lucked out an scored a two man room. But I had to go through several room mates (hey, it really wasn't my fault that they freaked out mentally, just because the only common denominator was me doesn't prove anything).

There was a company of female recruits one building over. They wanted nothing to do with us for the first six weeks.

While in Basic I received orders "promoting" me to an ROTC Cadet as I was accepted for early enrollment in ROTC as an SMP (Simultaneous Membership Program). I was to get paid as an E-5, and was supposed to wear ROTC insignia. My two drill sgts were very good ("cool") about it. They kept me humble by assigning me latrine duty regularly, and making me do lots of push-ups. In fact (true story) when we took the final PT test I did 69 push ups in the first minute. That was the max in 1983, and well before "extra" points for exceeding the max. But I was, and remain, a slow runner. I was "advised" to remove my ROTC insignia at times and just be a dumb private, depending on where we were going. I always heeded their counsel and appreciated it. They knew their stuff. SFC Colon-Robles later was an ROTC cadre at another university.

Camp at Bragg, after commissioning FAOBC 4/90 at Ft. Sill. I hate wind to this day. Can't stand it even when I'm not trying to read a map.

I was at Ft Sill in the fall and winter of 1988. FACBOC then Missile Officer Course. And I clearly remember the evening they sent us up a hill in the hard wind just to "acclimate" us to cold winds. Three or four hours of sitting in a group like a bunch of penguins, everyone alternating who was on the outer rim.

NRTC Orlando Nov. 82. Had an AB1 as CC that hated anyone with a guaranteed "A" school leaving boot camp. I was guaranteed AC school and he rode my ass like sea biscuit. Had to do a "Motivational Tour" which consisted of treading water every night for a week with just boots, drawers and holding an 03 Springfield over my head. Spent Christmas on KP wearing a rubber apron, rubber gloves and dumping mess trays in a trashcan while the goon next to me ate anything left on the plates.

Jan 83-May 83 Air Traffic Controller "A" school NATTC Millington, TN.
May 83- Nov 85 NAS Cubi Pt. Philippines ATC Air Operations
Nov 85-Jan 86 Radar Air Traffic Control "C" school NATTC Millington, TN.
Jan 86- Nov 87 NAS Kingsville, TX. ATC Air Operations
Nov 87- Present Civil Atlantic Fleet

Ft Leonard Wood 1991 Basic
1991 Ft Gordon for first MOS Communications.
1999 Ft Bragg for PSYOP re-class.

My son also Basic at Leonard Wood in '91 and AIT at Gordon...Communication
Then 1 yr in South Korea and finished up in the black hole Ft Huachuca.
Feds actually went around to our neighborhood interviewing for his security clearance.

Couple of my buddies in 1961 on Sand Hill Ft Benning 2nd ID and a couple of pictures from my Basic book in 1957 at Ft Jackson
Sand Hill.jpg
Ft Benning barracks.jpg
IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG

My son also Basic at Leonard Wood in '91 and AIT at Gordon...Communication
Then 1 yr in South Korea and finished up in the black hole Ft Huachuca.
Feds actually went around to our neighborhood interviewing for his security clearance.
Yep commo was a TS+ clearance.

Back
Top Bottom