• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Where to try on different sunglasses for prescription lenses?

Go to Sunglasses Hut and try them on. They even have anarea that have returns/scratched lenses for a fraction. Then take them to you eye doc for them to switch out the lenses. We did this with my wifes Ray Bans. We found a good deal on them and they replaced the lenses..

Go to anyplace that sells Costa sunglasses (Bass Pro, authorized optometrists, etc.) and pick which ones you like. Then you can order those straight from Costa. Just send the prescription and, done. I've done it several times. I have bifocals, but I only get the distance lenses since I use them mainly for driving or fishing.

Not a pilot, but have friends and family in the aviation industry.
The greatest challenge seems to be finding frames that work with your headset.
They need to be large enough to provide good coverage, but not too small that light passes outside the frames.
It may not be practical to bring your headset to Wal-mart to try on glasses, but several on-line vendors offer free try at home trials.

Gray lenses seem to be the most popular as there is less distortion of color.
Polarized lenses can be dangerous because they reduce the visibility through already polarized windscreens and reduced visibility of instruments which have anti glare filters.
The transitions type lenses are not recommended.

Resources for vision from the FAA:

Go to Sunglasses Hut and try them on. They even have anarea that have returns/scratched lenses for a fraction. Then take them to you eye doc for them to switch out the lenses. We did this with my wifes Ray Bans. We found a good deal on them and they replaced the lenses..
lenscrafters will put prescription lenses in Sunglass hut sunglasses

Back
Top Bottom