• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which 1911 is a better buy Colt or Kimber?

chugapug

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
15   0
Reaction score
I am looking to buy my first 1911 I have narrowed it down to 2.

1. Colt Commander Stainless $799
2. Kimber Pro Carry II $779

Any info would be greatly welcomed pros and cons for both as I understand their die hards on both sides.

Thanks in advance.

As you indicated, you may have die hards from both sides reply. I think that they are both great guns and are very similar. When two items are that closely matched, for me it usually comes down to ergonomics. Try to hold them side by side, or better yet, shoot 'em both on the range, then make the choice that is right for you. You can't go wrong with either, in my opinion.

I am a die hard Colt man but I have Kimbers too and they are to me the best you can buy without getting to custom. I do think that you get a little more for the money with the Kimber as far as night sites and checkered backstrap. I still love Colts and thats where I put my money now becasue U just cant beat the pony.

I have a Kimber Pro Carry II with Crimson Trace package. I just love it, but more than that, I am more accurate with this weapon than any other weapon I have owned. BTW, I use the laser very seldom when firing the weapon. The weight and balance seem to fit me. I have owned a Colt. Great weapon, cannot go wrong if you buy a Colt. Bottom line, if it were my choice, I would buy the Kimber.

i52.tinypic.com_mcatcz.jpg

If you're going to leave it bone stock you'll get more bells and whistles for the money with the kimber. If you plan on upgrading or having custom work done later I believe the colt is the better platform.

Having owned both models you are asking about I would suggest you also look at dan wesson and STI. The slide to frame fit and general attention to detail is better on those two brands than colt or kimber IMO.

I've owned more than a few 1911's over the years. Some were great, some were not. The least reliable for me were the Colts. Most would do good to feed ball ammo reliably, hp's or semi wadcutters were usually out of the question. I hope the newer ones are better than what was produced in the 80's and 90's. The first generation Kimbers I've owned were all very good pistols. I've had accuracy issues with more than one series II Kimbers. The good thing about both brands you're considering is that they have a very loyal following, so if you're not satisfied with your choice you'll find it easy to trade for something else. I currently own a Smith 1911, and a Dan Wesson 1911. Both are excellent shooters, but as NCN posted the Dan Wesson is exceptional. If you're open to suggestions, the DW is far above the rest anywhere near its price.

Check out SPRINGFIELD. They answer the phone on the 3rd ring and will do what ever they can to help if you have a problem. They also have a lifetime warranty instead of a 2 year for the Kimber. I was not impressed with Kimbers customer service. They make pretty guns and a lot of people like them. You can not go wrong with any of the top names.

Back
Top Bottom