• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which 1911?

Been real happy with my beat up, used and carried RIA commander 4".
Super reliable and very accurate.
It actually shoots better than my full size one did.

well I start from a different place than the others I guess.
First thing is what caliber? second what is the primary use of the weapon? third is budget.
you can get new 1911's from about 400 bucks up through 3-4 thousand bucks, and even then they may not be the best choice for the use that you are buying them for.
Best entry level 1911 is the Citadel, best medium priced is Springfield (or the Ruger), best higher dollar is Dan Wesson, best out there is Wilson. of course all this is my opinion but I do own about 15-16 1911 all together.
Plus I stayed at a Holiday inn last night!

New American made Production Gun with a forged frame/slide....
If you want a reliable true series gun with the absolute minimum amount od MIM parts (sear, disconnector, mag release).......Colt Government Model for about $870 plus tax

If you want a reliable true series 70 internal gun with a few more MIM parts.....Springfield Armory Mil-Spec for about $640 plus tax

Both Colt and Springfield make a very good entry level production gun and both have excellent customer service.

There are many other foreign made options and a few American made options with cast frames that come in $100 to $200 less that the above. Many who own them are very satisfied with their reliability. I am not a fan of cast frame 1911s, so I wouldn't consider them for an initial purchase, but YMMV on that issue. If it does I would look at the RIA 5 inch Government Model or a Ruger. Both RIA and Ruger have excellent customer service too.

Custom Guns........The possibilities, and price too, are almost endless.
Could not have said it better myself!

Start with a full size model. If you can get an original WWI or WWII, or perhaps a pre-series 70 colt, and then decide you do not like it, you can probably sell it for more or less what you paid for it.

However, back to the real world for most of us, it is hard to beat the Ruger SR1911 for an off the shelf pistol. About $700 retail.
This^^^ A series 70 colt is a great investment. I like my colt series 80. The ruger is hard to beat for the price. Springfield is kinda hit or miss but can be good.

Never shot a sig but I hear they are nice

Go full size for sure!

New American made Production Gun with a forged frame/slide....
If you want a reliable true series gun with the absolute minimum amount od MIM parts (sear, disconnector, mag release).......Colt Government Model for about $870 plus tax

If you want a reliable true series 70 internal gun with a few more MIM parts.....Springfield Armory Mil-Spec for about $640 plus tax

Both Colt and Springfield make a very good entry level production gun and both have excellent customer service.

There are many other foreign made options and a few American made options with cast frames that come in $100 to $200 less that the above. Many who own them are very satisfied with their reliability. I am not a fan of cast frame 1911s, so I wouldn't consider them for an initial purchase, but YMMV on that issue. If it does I would look at the RIA 5 inch Government Model or a Ruger. Both RIA and Ruger have excellent customer service too.

Custom Guns........The possibilities, and price too, are almost endless.
:thumb:

Don't buy a foreign 1911. Just ain't right:usa:

I would go ruger. I have several different 1911s but for the money and warranty you can't beat Ruger. Taurus are nice because of the price but many have a defect where you can't load a full mag with defensive ammo and actually use the magazine... it's weird. I had 2 and got rid of them both. Rock Island makes good stuff for an entry 1911 but for $150 or so more you can get a Ruger. I have had very bad luck with Remington and they only have a 2 year warranty.

Hope this helps

Just buy one of each

Back
Top Bottom