• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which 1911?

What is your budget, and what do you want to use it for?

Exactly this!

I've had several...I guess about a dozen. My absolute favorite was a Dan Wesson CBOB. It has all the features you could want...series 70, forged frame, no mim parts, front strap checkering, bobbed grip, amazing fit and finish, commander size (which is my favorite), and stainless (which is my favorite finish.) The price is in the mid teens, give or take, which gets you a fantastic 1911...to get something "better" will cost another thousand bucks at least. The CBOB isn't made anymore so you just don't see them that often...which is something else i like about them. The only drawback is weight. It wouldn't be my first pick for EDC...but that doesn't bother a lot of people.

I've been really into 1911 pistols for the last few years. I have owned three and about to purchase another. I regularly contribute to 1911 forums as well. The best advice I can give you is to buy once and cry once. Buy a pistol will the bells and whistles you want from the factory the first time. 1911 pistols are expensive. The just are for a quality piece that will hold value. What is your budget?

$800-$1100 Colt or springer (70 series, loaded model, Wiley Clapp government model. I have a Wiley Clapp and it's a great shooter!)
$1100-$1800 dan Wesson anything (although Springfield TRP is a nice piece for $1300)
~$2000 les baer

Really anything over $800 or $900 is going to be nice. I had a Kimber custom 2 and it shot great just had no soul.

If you get a Springfield, get a loaded or range officer. I had a GI that couldn't shoot a single mag without stovepiping. That was with several different makes of FMJs and different mags.

Please define your comment " had no soul ". I have the Kimber and love it.
Yeah probably not the best word choice. It needed more character for me. Wood grips, GI recoil spring and plug, blued, etc. my Kimber ran flawless though and was a great entry level gun.

Not bashing here but!
I own 4 Taurus PT1911's, 2 had to be returned to the mother ship for repair almost right out of the box.
repair time was 8 weeks and 9 weeks.
they are now pretty good runners and the price for one is usually in the 5-600 buck range depending on which model that you get.
plus taurus simply does not sale parts for their weapons, so any problem and its a 50-60 dollar trip back to Miami.
Originally when taurus came out with the 1911 quality control as pretty good, since them all the products have slipped quite a bit.
they offer a lot of features for the money but damn if you get a bad one it may run you crazy getting it fixed.
with a return rate of over 50% I swore off this manufacture, at least until quality improves greatly.

Stay away from kimber, the customer service sucks, cracked a frame on a ultra tact 2, took 6 months and 2 tries to get another, and then i had to pay the shipping to them and the tranfer at the FFL b/c of the new frame. I have the 10mm RIA and compact 45 as well as a colt and I still have the kimber. I would not trust my life to the kimber, the rock 10mm had to go back for feed proplems they turned it around including shipping both ways( which they paid for) in 7 days no problems since. the colt I have is a commander 1991A1 , both rocks have a tighter and slicker frame to slide fit. The 45 Rock no problems ever, eats everything I feed it. I really liked the kimber when I bought it, it wouldn't hold up under heavy use and then with thier CS, I just can't recommend them. I would like to get the comander size Ruger next...
Good luck. lets know what you decide and how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom