• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which caliber would you pick

Actually, FWIW, the absolute best ones shoot deer with the best whitetail cartridge ever made, the 25-06 in the most sporting rifle ever made, the Ruger #1. Everyone else is a pretender.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I like 25-06. 243 will do nearly the same in the right hands.

This is from observing shooters. I can't shoot for ****.

308 is close to the right answer.
The real right answer to the OP's question is to neck-down a .308 case and load it with a 6mm bullet.

See, you .308 fans can have your favorite round involved in coming to the correct solution here.

;)

.308 for small game? .308 is not even that great of a deer round as the velocity tapers below hydrostatic shock levels at around 200 yards and the sectional density sucks. .270 and 25-06 blow it out of the water for one shot kills and one shot knock downs.

I have shot deer at the distance the OP posted..with 257 Roberts to 338 win mag...308 does the job just fine. As does the 243. But hands down...308

The .243 has several factory bullet weights that match .25-06 bullets, but the bigger case of the '06 pushes them 200 fps faster.

Which means NOTHING at the 100 yard hunting scenario, with 300 yards as an absolute max distance, ever.
That extra 200 feet per second would only be useful at 400-600 yards.
Well beyond the distance 99% of hunters would be accurate enough under field conditions.

The .243 has several factory bullet weights that match .25-06 bullets, but the bigger case of the '06 pushes them 200 fps faster.

Which means NOTHING at the 100 yard hunting scenario, with 300 yards as an absolute max distance, ever.
That extra 200 feet per second would only be useful at 400-600 yards.
Well beyond the distance 99% of hunters would be accurate enough under field conditions.
I never argued against the .243. It was the answer I gave to the OP's question.

Back
Top Bottom