• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which caliber would you pick

Only women and children can kill deer with a .243
Yes but can they kill one at 850 with one shot? That's point I am trying to make. Imagine you're in a stand over a enormous feed plot. You are about 550 out from a non typical down tine beauty that just poked his head out for a minute to scope the joint for some doe coin slot. Now what would you rather have a 24 caliber with tiny projectile or a 6.5 with a twice the sectional density and a ton more ft.lbs of energy. You have to really think about the what if moments in life.

Yes but can they kill one at 850 with one shot? That's point I am trying to make. Imagine you're in a stand over a enormous feed plot. You are about 550 out from a non typical down tine beauty that just poked his head out for a minute to scope the joint for some doe coin slot. Now what would you rather have a 24 caliber with tiny projectile or a 6.5 with a twice the sectional density and a ton more ft.lbs of energy. You have to really think about the what if moments in life.

Shooting at 550 yards is not relevant to what the OP is needing. He is looking at calibers for actual hunting in Georgia not hypothetical hunting situations. Seeing a deer at 550 yards in Georgia is not likely. I killed a deer at a verified 321 yards with a .243 I think it will handle anything from Black Bear(yes) down to vermin at normal hunting distances for Georgia.

Less than 1% of the people on this forum are capable enough to responsibly take a 850 yard shot on game.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

FB_IMG_1501593623734.jpg

20 years FFL sales experience. I've seen a lot of shooters. The best ones shoot deer with a .243 because they can shoot. Guys that can't shoot, shoot cannons. The really bad shots shoot automatics.

20 years FFL sales experience. I've seen a lot of shooters. The best ones shoot deer with a .243 because they can shoot. Guys that can't shoot, shoot cannons. The really bad shots shoot automatics.
Actually, FWIW, the absolute best ones shoot deer with the best whitetail cartridge ever made, the 25-06 in the most sporting rifle ever made, the Ruger #1. Everyone else is a pretender.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I kill deer with a .243 and gasp .223 single shot rifles. I am a deer woods operator for sho.

Back
Top Bottom