• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which Chronograph?

The "sporter" model magnetospeed sounds interesting to me.

How much discrepancy did you notice in the velocities with regular light based Chronos? Were you getting totally different readings from session to session from the same gun & ammo combinations? How many fps differences?

Thanks!
I saw quite a bit of variation, especially with velocities that were much lower than expected. I also borrowed a friends to compare, and found that both had inconsistencies. I am confident with the Magnetospeed, and keep my CE chrono for pistols and arrows.

Magnetospeed if you have the money for it. I bought one of the Caldwell chronographs a while ago that has built in LED lighting as that seemed to be the biggest issues for the light based chronographs. retail on it was around $160, and I got a bit of a deal on it, but haven't been able to get it out somewhere to test it out. hopefully the LED will help with the variability of the lights..

I have a CED with the optional light kit. It seems to work well. It also works well outside with or without the light kit.

I checked it against a friend’s Pro Chrony by putting one behind the other to allow reading from both chronys with each shot fired. The two were within 10fps of each other.

I think you get what you pay for; the more expensive newer Chrony is probably better than the cheaper ones. But, mine has worked well for me.

Thanks for the suggestions and info, guys. I didn't realize there was that much to chronographs, glad I asked!

Think I'll look into the competition electronics offerings since I'd only use it for verifying loads as mentioned and having fun with friends and family.

Back
Top Bottom