• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which Chronograph?

I have have a Shooting Chrony alpha which has served me well. Decided I wanted to try the Caldwell chronograph since it was on sale for like $79. I have been quite pleased. There is an app for it and you plug it into your phone with a 1/8" stereo plug to your headphone jack. It will monitor and track your shooting strings on your phone. No need to write down your data. You can organize and even export it to excel if you like. It is quite nice.

Yes, lighting can be aggravating sometimes, but it works more times than it doesn't when I go to the range.

I have pondered the Labradar, I just can't pony up $500-600 to measure my bullet velocities. Not to say I won't change my mind one day.

One thing I learned years ago when I borrowed someone else's chronograph. Always shoot off a rest, never offhand. Only takes one jerk of the trigger to hit the thing especially with handguns.

Rosewood

I have the Caldwell chrono and it’s great. Never had lighting effect the speeds on it. If you know how to set it up properly it works 100%.
I use mine for USPSA and I have to meet a minimum power factor so getting an accurate velocity is pretty important.

Labradar is an awesome way to go if you can afford it. Midway has them on sale from time to time for $450. A few more buttons to push, but no strapping it on or shooting it by accident. Data is stored on a SD card and you can plug it into a cheap mini USB battery for all day use. I spent the extra money so I can shoot groups wo/messing with barrel harmonics.

If you aren't concerned with extreme accuracy in velocity just go with an alpha chrony or the such for way less cash. A lighting kit helps those to be fairly accurate.

A lot depends on how you reload. If you're not measuring to the tenth of grain or better then the labradar might be overkill.

never had ANY luck with shooting chrony. i tried the light kits to no avail. ive seen the boxes. the only one of that style ive seen work is ohler 35 and it took half hr to string everyting up. magneto speed for rifle. i actually have a labradar but it doesnt see much use. the magneto is lock stock reliable and 2 min setup.

Back
Top Bottom