• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which classic suvs or jeeps have towing capacity of 2500 truck?

One thing to consider is the state vastly increased funding to the Public Safety folks (DOT), and they have many more inspectors than they used to have. They are always looking for light trucks pulling a skid steer. They can count on the truck being overloaded.

2500-3500 suburban. Square bodies in the 80’s came with the optional big block or the modified 350 diesel (6.2 & 6.5 liter).
Like everyone else said stopping, steering, & handling would be far inferior to modern equipment.

One thing to consider is the state vastly increased funding to the Public Safety folks (DOT), and they have many more inspectors than they used to have. They are always looking for light trucks pulling a skid steer. They can count on the truck being overloaded.

None of the DOT rules apply if your not conducting commercial for profit business

If it’s your skid steer and you don’t get paid to use it and just use it personally on your own property the rules don’t apply

What exactly are you going to be doing with it ?
Getting paid to do work by customers ?

If so the DOT rules will apply and you’ll be treated the same as an 18 wheeler
but it’s not that big of a deal
Just a bunch of BS paperwork mostly
DOT number on some magnetic signs to slap on when you’re towing and have the vehicle and trailer inspected by a approved mechanic once a year and a medical card from a doc , they do DOT physicals at most CVS pharmacies
Gotta have spare fuses and triangles and a fire extinguisher etc
All stuff you should do in a non commercial vehicle anyway but most people don’t

I sometimes use a gasser 2016 Chevy 2500 4wd crew cab to pull a mini ex or bobcat and it pulls and stops fine

No need for a diesel unless you tow all day every day

An old truck could be used to tow
But you need to get the six wheeler version

C or K30 for the stronger frame
It’s a good bit thicker and taller than the 1/2 or 3/4 ton pickups

Or at least the frame and axles from the Chevy CUCV army pickups
The 14 bolt rear and Dana 60 front would be plenty of brakes
And I would convert the vacuum booster to a hydraulic booster
They are a lot better

kits are available to convert the rear 14 bolt to disc

Plus you gotta have good brakes on the trailer and a good controller that’s adjustable to suit the load

And you’re not gonna be able to do 75-80 like everyone else
About 60-65 tops on the interstate

People towed heavy loads with those trucks when they were new with no problems
You just have to plan ahead and don’t get in a hurry and don’t get distracted

When I’m towing a bobcat or mini ex or other heavy trailer even with a late model pickup I keep it under 65

In the '70's I had a 1973 Mercury Colony Park station wagon with a 460 c.i. engine that I pulled a 28 foot Holliday Rambler camper that was heavy as lead. Use to pull it up to Desota Park on Lookout Mountain with no problem. Wagon weighed over 5k pounds.

Back
Top Bottom