• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which concealed carry piece in bear country?

Testing has shown bear spray to be very effective on brown bears, but not so much on blacks. Need a gun for that. Good thing, because handguns are iffy on the big browns. I got the S&W 69 .44 mag for black bears. 240gr hollow points is where its at. The 240gr Hornady XTP was developed with testing on black bears.

Some of you guys have been reading way too many survival magazine stories. Just take something light enough to carry easily that you can hit with.
Remember Deliverance?:)

The fact that so many people who say they EDC EVERY DAY because you never know when something may happen are the very people giving this guy hell for wanting to be prepared in case....something may happen. He may go hiking 500 times in the mountains and have 0 run ins with a black bear or any other wildlife but that 501 time he wants to be ready.

If you happen to startle a bear, esp a mama with cubs...it could potentially be a serious problem...
Agree that black bears commonly shy away but in the last few years there have been several attacks...nothing wrong with being a little cautious and being prepared for that just in case....at least he isn't fantasizing about being a hero for pulling his gun and saving the day in the grate Micky D's robbery.
Carry a whistle bears will retreat from the noise but a good 357 or 44 close by won't hurt in case you happen to find the bear that is sick, or mad at the world or protecting cubs and decides to gnaw on you a little just because. Being prepared is not the same as being paranoid.

And yes, I grew up in the north Ga. mountains on a farm and as a kid 9-10 years old have seen bears in the woods and our cornfields that were on the Chestatee River..
we would leave them alone and they would leave us alone ..... but like any other wild animal, if it feels threatened , it will hurt you if it thinks it has to.

Last edited:
460 Rowland on a 1911 frame. Screw the yuppies. I never open carry in civilization, but if I'm in the woods I do it without hesitation.

Back
Top Bottom