• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which concealed carry piece in bear country?

Raised in black bear country, never shot one..never had to...NORMALLY when they see you they take off....but that doesn't mean don't think about the one will run at you for what ever reason it has.
The sound of a gunshot would more than likely scare it away UNLESS you happened right up on it and startled it so quick it couldn't get away in another direction or a mama bear with cubs. then you could have a major prob.
Try noise first...an injured animal is even more dangerous.
That being said and with all the wise guy answers you got.I'll end my comment with this.
Your chances in the woods of being bitten by a poisonous snake are remote as well, but it doesn't keep me from having a snake bite kit in my bag, ergo you will likely also find a a heavy duty handgun somewhere close by....and not just for bears....ever seen the cuts a wild hog can put in you, or the possibility a rabid animal encounter or ..the worst of all the just plain dang mean two legged animal.
Chances are not high for any of those to occur NORMALLY, but they DO OCCUR OCCASIONALLY...only an fool doesn't consider the possibility.

Raised in black bear country, never shot one..never had to...NORMALLY when they see you they take off....but that doesn't mean don't think about the one will run at you for what ever reason it has.
The sound of a gunshot would more than likely scare it away UNLESS you happened right up on it and startled it so quick it couldn't get away in another direction or a mama bear with cubs. then you could have a major prob.
Try noise first...an injured animal is even more dangerous.
That being said and with all the wise guy answers you got.I'll end my comment with this.
Your chances in the woods of being bitten by a poisonous snake are remote as well, but it doesn't keep me from having a snake bite kit in my bag, ergo you will likely also find a a heavy duty handgun somewhere close by....and not just for bears....ever seen the cuts a wild hog can put in you, or the possibility a rabid animal encounter or ..the worst of all the just plain dang mean two legged animal.
Chances are not high for any of those to occur NORMALLY, but they DO OCCUR OCCASIONALLY...only an fool doesn't consider the possibility.

I need to get one of these!

Funny story....years ago I was on the AT for about a week with some friends. One night around the campfire, I was giving one of my buddies grief for only carrying a wittle-bitty j-frame. We were all harping on him telling him that .38 Special would only make a cat more angry and wouldn't even slow down a bear. He smirked and said, "I'm not shooting the bear, I'm kneecapping you so I don't have to run!"

We all laughed - primarily because we weren't altogether sure whether or not he was being honest. :laugh:[/QUOTE
Ha!Beat me to it. .22 is all u need. Pop your buddy in the foot and walk away!

Last week my girlfriend took me up to Amicalola State Park to hike to the Len Foote Hike Inn. Not a quarter mile down the trail, where it forks at, was a juvenile black bear just hanging out. He was sitting in the middle of the trail just messing around with a tree. Couldn't really go around him so we made a bunch of noise as we came around the corner and he took off up the mountain. We saw him again about 20 minutes later, made more noise and he took off running again. It was pretty cool, he definitely seemed more scared of us than we were of him.

There's no way I'd carry concealed with the expectation of a potential bear encounter.

I may have mentioned it before, but in Gig Harbor, Washington about 15 years or so ago, a couple kids were messing around in their back yard. They shot a black bear with either a 22 or a pellet gun, right in the eye. I can't remember which, and killed the bear dead.

Back
Top Bottom