• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which magazine for AR 15

You know what you need to do...

MAG575-2.jpg

Depends on the platform.
Pmags are cheap and plentiful. They will not seat in the rifles with slightly longer magwells, like CETME L and other non-AR STANAG magwells. I bought 1 to try, and not buying any more. Same with Hexamags.
Lancers fit everything and can be found for $12 or less on sale.
GI (OKay, Brownells, D&H etc) will fit everything and work well.
South Korean steel mags are my new favorite mag for cheap mags. Reminds me of HK mags, but without the high price. They also have the non-tilt GI poly follower, instead of metal followers like in HK mags.

PS remember, magazine is a wear item, consumable. And rifle is no use without a functioning magazine.

I have had problems with P-Mags. Specifically, slamming them in while the bolt is locked back, I've had "first round pop off", which jams the gun when you drop the bolt. It results in a double-feed jam, which is not quick to clear.

I'd used them for years and not had this problem until I started shooting 3-gun matches and loading fast and hard, adrenaline pumped. Kinda the way I'd be if I actually needed them. Others have not had the same experience, I realize. But it happened to me, and with several different P-Mags, so it wasn't just a bad mag. I have not attempted to see if it's limited to a particular generation.

Might just be my particular rifle, too-- I have not attempted to isolate the problem. But for what it's worth, since then, I prefer metal mags.

EDIT: Sounds like Jeddak knows what he's talking about.

Back
Top Bottom