• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which reflex sight?

blazedawg87

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
198   0
Reaction score
Wanting to have a good reflex sight to go on my primary AR. Already have LWRC flip up irons so that department is covered.

Im looking at 3 main optics but am open to ones comparable:
1) Meprolight M21 reflex
2) EOtech 512
3) Trijicon Reflex 1x42

Make sure to look at them prior to purchase. The Eotechs (astigmatism) look awful to me. That's why I like the Aimpoints or ideally an ACOG. The ACOG reticles don't "burst" at all to me. The 1.5x ACOG might be perfect (never had a chance to use one).

512's are not just reflex optics. They are holographic. It is important to note this if using in conjunction with magnifiers or if you have an astigmatism.

512's are not just reflex optics. They are holographic. It is important to note this if using in conjunction with magnifiers or if you have an astigmatism.

True, but I don't plan to run a magnifier and hopefully never (but probably will) have eye trouble

I would eliminate the 512 from your list and add the Aimpoint PRO or T-1. I have had 3 Eotech's, 2 of which were 512's and got rid of all of them. Although mine worked just fine, there are too many reports of reliability issues with them to justify keeping them. I also have leaned towards simple dots these days. The busy reticle of the Eotech got a little annoying over the years.

Also, I have seen one of those Trijicon 1x24 fail on a local LEO's UMP40, 2 round bust rifle. The adjustments broke/quit working and wouldn't zero.

Not saying they are all like that, but did see it happen. They reticle and lenses are crap IMHO too.

You may also like the MRO though. Seems like a pretty solid optic for a descent price.

I would eliminate the 512 from your list and add the Aimpoint PRO or T-1. I have had 3 Eotech's, 2 of which were 512's and got rid of all of them. Although mine worked just fine, there are too many reports of reliability issues with them to justify keeping them. I also have leaned towards simple dots these days. The busy reticle of the Eotech got a little annoying over the years.

Also, I have seen one of those Trijicon 1x24 fail on a local LEO's UMP40, 2 round bust rifle. The adjustments broke/quit working and wouldn't zero.

Not saying they are all like that, but did see it happen. They reticle and lenses are crap IMHO too.

You may also like the MRO though. Seems like a pretty solid optic for a descent price.

How well are the aimpoints with rapid target acquisition? That's my main focus on the optic.

How well are the aimpoints with rapid target acquisition? That's my main focus on the optic.

I mean, that is a preference thing. Some of the 3-gun folks run 1-4, 1-6, and 1-8 with illuminated reticles or illuminated dots and seem to have no issues tagging 2 on paper from 20'-25 yards. I have also seen the same success with folks running the compact T-1/H-1's as well.

I would highly recommend finding a shop with a good selection and check them out. What works for some, may not work for others. I personally dislike the 512, and 1x24 these days and have no experience with Melrolights, but others may love them.

Reliability issues? Military is still using them and they lost zero slightly at extreme temperatures we will never see anywhere in north or South America.

Back
Top Bottom