• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which scope would you buy and why, 4 options

Here's my less than 2¢ worth ..

If you need to shoot more than 75 - 100 yards to kill a doe you need to find someplace else to hunt or improve your hunting tactics. 4x is plenty, along with a good set of binoculars.

If you want to shoot a mile for fun, that's a different story... And a different scope.

Here's my less than 2¢ worth ..

If you need to shoot more than 75 - 100 yards to kill a doe you need to find someplace else to hunt or improve your hunting tactics. 4x is plenty, along with a good set of binoculars.

If you want to shoot a mile for fun, that's a different story... And a different scope.

Eloquently stated... I have 56 year old eyes.. I need binoculars at 75-100 yards!

I like the extra zoom to make sure the deer is tick free. In the 20 years I've been hunting at the QDM place, I've yet to to take out a nubbin' and don't plan too. I'm not giving the guys I hunt with any opportunity to pass along the "Sweeney Award" and the harrassment that comes with it. The story behind the award name- a biologist was checking his reticle to make sure it was level on a feeder, and BAM there was nice hole in the side of one of the galvanized steel Sweeney feeders that are on some of the stands.

I like the extra zoom to make sure the deer is tick free. In the 20 years I've been hunting at the QDM place, I've yet to to take out a nubbin' and don't plan too. I'm not giving the guys I hunt with any opportunity to pass along the "Sweeney Award" and the harrassment that comes with it. The story behind the award name- a biologist was checking his reticle to make sure it was level on a feeder, and BAM there was nice hole in the side of one of the galvanized steel Sweeney feeders that are on some of the stands.

Yea... well you shouldn’t need the extra zoom to see the deer ticks in Ga... You can use iron sights..

Out of the 4 you linked, I’d go:

1. NF SHV

2. Trijicon

3. VVPST

4. Nikon

I’ll admit to ranking the Nikon last because I don’t see nearly as many of them as the other three, so I don’t have as much experience with them.

This answers it. If you’re on a budget look at SWFA. I have five and have one for sale (sold the gun). I have a fixed 6x and four 3-15x42mm FFP, MIL/MIL. Brand new they run $700 from SWFA. Great scopes.

If you can afford it get a nightforce NXS and never look back.

On this link there a 4 scopes I am contemplating purchasing to go on a .308 AR. Which would you buy and why?
Illuminated is not a must, but a plus. Primarily deer hunting use, but I want to start shooting longer ranges, and possibly competition with it down the road.

What makes the Nightforce or Trijicon better than the Nikon?

https://www.opticsplanet.com/rifles...parent-objective-lens-diameter=range-50-59-mm

Thank you for the help!
Glass quality. Coatings quality. Amount of elevation and windage adjustable. Repeatability. Durability. QC. Pretty much every single aspect.

Back
Top Bottom