• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which scope would you buy and why, 4 options

I know this isn’t a scientific assessment but lower end tactical scopes have really stepped up their game. I feel like leupold has fallen behind in this department. Their MK 6 and Mk 8 lines are awesome but now you’re in the 3-5k range for a scope and they competition is extremely stiff at that price point. You can do a lot better than leupold at the $1k realm. Once you get into nightforce territory there is just no comparison ($2k realm and higher). I Just do not have a warm and fuzzy cranking on leupold turrets. They don’t feel tactile. I don’t have enough experience behind them to bash them one way or another, but on ruggedness and confidence in equipment nightforce gets my vote.

If you’re at the $1200 area the SWFA HD, Weaver Tac 34, Burris XTRs, and primary arms platinum are solid performers. Not a vortex fan, but their razors and amg are pretty awesome as well.

I know this isn’t a scientific assessment but lower end tactical scopes have really stepped up their game. I feel like leupold has fallen behind in this department. Their MK 6 and Mk 8 lines are awesome but now you’re in the 3-5k range for a scope and they competition is extremely stiff at that price point. You can do a lot better than leupold at the $1k realm. Once you get into nightforce territory there is just no comparison ($2k realm and higher). I Just do not have a warm and fuzzy cranking on leupold turrets. They don’t feel tactile. I don’t have enough experience behind them to bash them one way or another, but on ruggedness and confidence in equipment nightforce gets my vote.

If you’re at the $1200 area the SWFA HD, Weaver Tac 34, Burris XTRs, and primary arms platinum are solid performers. Not a vortex fan, but their razors and amg are pretty awesome as well.

I'm seeing many of the same issues with the Mk6 and Mk8 lines that I have seen with the Mk4's.

Nightforce came out with their SHV line a few years ago to compete in the $900 to $1500 range. These are true Nightforce and are excellent.

You are the 3rd person I have heard say this...!

Over the years, I've seen more issues with the Leupold Mk4 scopes than all other brands combined.

Failure to hold zero
Failure to return to zero
Adjustments that aren't close to what they should be
Parallax issues
On an FFP model, had a lens unit compromised of 2 separate lenses epoxied together come apart

The Mark 5 HDs are better than the Mark 6's and are actually very good scopes. I can agree on the mushy turrets of most Leupolds. As for nothing competing with NF above 2k, I think there are several companies that would disagree. Kahles, Tangent Theta, ZCO are just a couple to name a few. A Tangent Theta 5-25x56 is simply on another level mechanically and optically. That's not to say the NF aren't good or aren't the best value, but optics don't stop at NF. With that being said, they are a safe bet for sure.
In the $1200 realm, if you can get a used Razor, I think thats probably as good as it gets for the money and I am NOT a Vortex fan at all.

I would personally get the scope with the lowest bottom end possible. I hunt with a Trijicon accupoint 2.5-10 and shoot on 2.5 more than anything else. I have Binos on a chest harness that I can quickly pull for a better look on distant targets and it’s alot less movement and faster than pulling the gun up. Any movement directly over your body from chest to eye is much less perceivable form the ground than waving a 3 ft gun up to your shoulder.

I tried hunting with a 4-16 before, but I never used the 16 power, and found myself wishing I had lower power. The lower the power, the faster on target you will be, and in the deer woods a single second could mean the difference between sneaking a shot between two trees and missing an opportunity. Don’t believe me? Get your highest power glass, sit a cou-le hundred yards from a highway, and try to throw up and follow cars moving down the road, next try it with a 1 or 3 power scope.
Why are you bringing facts into this debate?

Back
Top Bottom