• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which smoker for a beginner?

We have an XL BGE. We had been asked to provide lunch for 60-75 people at church after a funeral. Last Friday morning I loaded the charcoal, applewood chunks and 3 large butts. Let them smoke for 12 hours. Took them off, more applewood chunks, 3 more butts. Let them smoke 12 hours. Never added any more charcoal. Maintained a temp of 225-240 the whole 24 hours. Fed them Saturday at 1200. The folks raved about the flavor and juiciness. Easy choice for me but it’s what I learned on. Tons of YT videos to help you along. I can easily go from 200-750 degrees. Good luck.

I've had a Treager before and had issues with it. I liked the idea of the set it and forget it for long or overnight smokes. I lost a Thanksgiving turkey and a load of chickens due to it snuffing its self out. Also, the temps would swing 30-40degrees on both sides of the set temp constantly over correcting itself while in slow and low heat. 350-450 range is where mine would maintain set temps. Ended up giving it away.
Then I bought a Primo XL it does a fantastic job at maintaining temps once it balances out , but I lack the correct smoke flavor from the lump and wood chunk mix, sometimes its way too smokey like I pulled it from a house fire ,sometimes its just okay. I need to learn more on correct mixtures, then I got a free Brinkman stick burner/off set fom a guy who used to do BBQ catering . Loading it up on the trailer, it smelled the same as other peopels smokers whos different types of meat came out perfect smoke flavor wise not like a camp fire. Ive only done a single chicken so far on it, once again too smokey the top half overcooked while the bottom was raw, still got some learning to do there, any suggestions would be great.
Every type has its learning curve. I don’t like stick burner because it seems like too much time monitoring the temp. BGE bring it to temp, add wood chunks and let it go. As far as smoke flavor I’ve found the way i load it makes a difference as well as type of wood. Long smoke I arrange the chunks out in a circle. Short smoke large chunks on top of coals. For pork, apple, cherry, pear are good with apple my favorite. For me beef pairs well with mesquite or pecan, just not too heavy. With mesquite my favorite. For chicken/poultry one of the fruit woods or just really light hickory. Hickory is probably my least favorite. Most people use it way to heavy for my taste and it can be overwhelming.

Back
Top Bottom