• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which SUV?

My wife has a 2017 escape AWD Titanium 2.0l. MSRP is up there with some of these other vehicles. I dislike it. To many beeps and electronic nannies. Auto start stop is awful, kills the AC at the stop lights. Top it off with an abysmal 20mpg average, I would pass on the ford. The rav 4 or honda would prob be better to look at.

I know you said no Japanese cars. But my 2015 Rav4 gets about 24.5 mpg, and is a good mid size vehicle at an affordable price.

You could always get a KIA or a Subaru, have a friend who ONLY buys Subarus.

The gas mileage is not a huge concern to me as I don't have to drive to work every day anymore. More interested in other things.
Price on all vehicles is downright crazy, MSRP is more than my first house cost. I bought a 2016 Dodge Ram almost two years ago.
The car we are replacing is a 2003 Mercury Marquis Ultimate. 15 year old car with less than 70,000 miles. Still a good car but several issues I don't like.

The wife’s grocery getter.
18 Explorer sport.
It’s fast!

57980701-A929-4C20-B084-04D2DED3F9E9.jpeg

Thinking about buying a new, guess you would call it a "midsize" SUV. Do not want a full size bus like Yukon, etc.

Been looking at Ford Escape all wheel drive.

Anybody have any experience with these?

Know a lot of people prefer Honda or Toyota, but I do not want a Japanese vehicle, don't care if they will run two million miles.

Thanks,
Jim
I work at the port of Brunswick where lots of different import cars arrive. I used to drive Hyundai and Kia vehicles everyday. They were okay but really overpriced for what they are. Since changing employers I've driven a lot of Subarus and I really have to say that is the way to go. Mostly what I drive everyday is Crosstreks and Foresters. The Crosstrek is okay but for the same money you can get a Forrester with more room. The Outback is made in Indiana so we don't see them. But that would be my second pick behind the Forester.
Last week there was another thread asking for opinions between the Outback and Highlander. I drove a few Highlanders at my old job that were were h for South America. They were very nice. And it's hard to beat Toyota for reliability and resale. But if you want AWD in your SUV it's hard to beat Subaru in any model. I say that because I see Foresters everyday in different option packages from base model steel wheel, stick shift versions for right at $24K to the XT top of the line model for beti $34K and $36K. Personally I don't need all that leather, heated seats and steering wheel. But if you compare it to a Honda or Toyota equipped the same way it's probably close to $10K less. AND with Subaru the AWD is standard with every model. With any other brand that costs extra.

Could you be more specific about problems?
The vehicle was a 2012 Ford Focus. So not an exact comparison but enough to put a sour taste in my mouth. My wife purchased it new in 2012 and over the course of the next 2 years it had 3 separate transmission issues, they constantly blamed it on the "TCM" transmission control module. The car couldn't get out of its own way most of the time. There was a couple instances where she was on a steeper paved hill and couldn't make it up it, because the car wouldn't downshift. They "resolved" the problem by replacing it completely and at that point we traded it in. The Ford dealer rep even went as far as telling her that it wasn't a Mercedes, implying she got what she paid for.

Know a lot of people prefer Honda or Toyota, but I do not want a Japanese vehicle, don't care if they will run two million miles.

Thanks,
Jim

I don't know why you have an objection to Japanese cars, but you're eliminating some of your best choices. The truth is that the best domestic SUVs are going to be the buses that you don't want, and the small/mid sized models are going to be a mixed bag.

For myself - I'm biased against new cars altogether, but if I was in your shoes I'd drive to the nearest Toyota dealer and buy a new 4Runner or Highlander. Don't let your prejudices keep you from having the best car possible.

Back
Top Bottom