• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which value priced entry level gun???

mhayes

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
43   0
Reaction score
i have a good friend that is getting into deer hunting. He has borrowed a few rifles of mine before this past year. But he wants to get his own and be able to go more often. He doesn't have a lot of money to spend on camo and gear. He is keeping it low pried as he can. I have helped him do some research. He has held and fondled all the rifles in this category. He has narrowed it down to these three. So out of these three models what are the pros and cons that your experience with them tells us? He is looking for accuracy, reliability or functionality issues. He is staying with the 30-06 as he wants to be able to use one gun for all he might hunt. Plus he has enjoyed mine. This is his order as to what he likes after holding them.
1. Winchester XPR
2. Browning A bolt 3
3. Ruger American

Open to all suggestions and reports....

Thanks Matt

Ruger American predator - medium weight barrell, threaded, free floated, adjustable trigger like the others. comes in a green stock instead of black.
Negative - thin plastic magazine

Look at the Savage Axis. Best bang for your buck and accurate as can be. A YouTube video shows how to very simply reduce the trigger weight to very acceptable levels.

Of course, he should also look at the Remington 700 SPS. Very accurate out of the box and easily upgraded if he ever decides he wants to.

Of the ones on his list, the Browning A-Bolt is an outstanding rifle, but a lot more expensive than the two I listed above.

Of course, he should also look at the Remington 700 SPS

Of the ones on his list, the Browning A-Bolt is an outstanding rifle, but a lot more expensive than the two I listed above.[/QUOTE]

I didn't think to mention to him the SPS Remington. Seen them for steals lately.

The Abolt 3 is what he is looking at. They can be bought for the mid $400 range. A tad bit more than the others but is it worth it? He didn't like the savage and 783 from Remington. Didn't care much for the stock on the Ruger. He said the other two had way better stock feel to him. I haven't seen an A Bolt3 in person or the XPR so not sure.

Out of the three, I think the Ruger American would be my choice. I have a savage that will outshoot many other much more expensive rifles.

He's narrowed down his choices to just those three: Browning AB3, Winchester XPR, and Ruger American.
I haven't heard anything about the first two, but I constantly hear good things about the Ruger American Rifle.
I think it's got the best reputation, and probably the best value for the money.

The .30-06 is probably more than he'd need for any game animal he could find in the South.
Personally, I'd suggest he go with a .270 Win or 7mm-08 Rem. Both of them, with 130 or 140 grain bullets, have less recoil than the '06, but are suitable for any deer, at any distance you could hit 'em.

Back
Top Bottom