• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which value priced entry level gun???

Ruger American.
I have one in .308 and it is a Joy to shoot (I hunt with it) I have Vortex Viper Glass on it.
I am picking up one in 6.5 Creedmoor and the reviews on it are Awesome.
So Ruger would be my first pick and second would be Savage as I have not had an issue with my Savage in 30-06 either.

So far all suggestions are great. Just my 2 cents but, Remington quality isn't so great any more.
Skip them and play it safe. I had a Howa and liked it. Ruger and Savage get good reviews but I've not owned one.

The Browning AB3 is a hard rifle to beat aesthetically. Beautiful wood stock. I would have to say the X-bolt. The Ruger American just feels plain ass cheap with that rickity stock. The Browning is a good rifle that will always look as good as it did the first day he got it. I always prefer wood over composite ( glorified name for plastic ) because it's hard to beat that traditional look. This composite stock crap ( glorified name for plastic ) is a brilliant marketing scheme. Replace the wood with composite ( glorified name for plastic ) and mark it up 200 bucks. Mean while you get a rifle made out of chopped up pieces of old car batteries. For real!

I vote for a savage but if he absolutely won't then the Ruger. I would also talk him out of 30-06 unless all he is taking is neck shots otherwise it ruins to much meat. Hell I hit a decent size doe with a 270 and it destroyed a good 3/8 of the meat. 308win will pretty much knock down anything in North America plus ammo is cheaper if he isn't hand loading.

My Ruger American in 308 is usually the one that goes to the woods. I like the trigger and it just swings natural for me. Light weight and handy.

+1 for the savage in 308. Had an axis in 30.06 and never had a single issue with it. A $20 trigger spring reduced the weight and actually made it a pretty decent trigger for the money.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I vote for a savage but if he absolutely won't then the Ruger. I would also talk him out of 30-06 unless all he is taking is neck shots otherwise it runs to much meat. Hell I hit a decent size doe with a 270 and it destroyed a good 3/8 of the meat. 308win will pretty much knock down anything in North America plus ammo is cheaper if he isn't hand loading.
Not to mention after 3 shot at the range your shoulder is done. My older Remy 30-06 will throw you down, spit on you and then stomp a mud hole in your ass. Then laugh the whole time you are reaching for another round.

Have heard good things about the Ruger except that the stock is cheap and kind of flimsy. American Hunter had a great review on the Winchester. If there is any ranges around that would let you shoot all three, that might help you decide what you want.

Back
Top Bottom