• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"While hunting or camping"

Anh Le

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
55   0
Reaction score
I always hear that you need a conceal carry permit to carry unless you're hunting or camping. What're the legalities regarding that? Am I allowed to have a gun on me for the entire trip, so long as I'm intending to fish? What about hunting?

You can certainly hunt with a handgun and no permission slip. If you intend to say you're hunting with a .380 and don't have a permission slip, GLWS.

You can carry openly while engaged in the act of hunting or fishing (not camping, and not while you are driving to or unloading the truck or whatever before you are hunting or fishing) Please go the the state of Ga web sight and read the laws for yourself or risk arrest by taking someones word on here, or get a GWCL .

You can carry openly while engaged in the act of hunting or fishing (not camping, and not while you are driving to or unloading the truck or whatever before you are hunting or fishing) Please go the the state of Ga web sight and read the laws for yourself or risk arrest by taking someones word on here, or get a GWCL .
Did I contradict that? :confused:

Well, I think you're both right. I believe the law will not only cover the actual act of hunting or fishing, but also walking around your vehicle, gathering your gear, and walking a relatively short distance carrying your gear to the place where you do the hunting or fishing.

And you don't necessarily have to have a hunting license for fishing license, if you're doing those activities on your own property or under other circumstances were a license is not required. But, to avoid being arrested or being ticketed, I would make sure that you really do look like you were on a hunting and fishing trip. Don't try to B.S. your way through it.

As for camping, there's no statutory answer found in any of the O.C.G.A. gun laws, but IF (and I say "if") your tent or other shelter is considered your home (during the days you actually use it as such and sleep there), then I'd say you don't need a GWL while actually in your tent.

As for around the campsite, next to your tent, etc, the answer is probably not. It's not your land. You don't own it. You're outside of your "home." So to be legal, you'd have to transport the gun unloaded and in a case or other closed container. Make it ready to shoot once you get it in your tent or under the roof of your lean-to.

Back
Top Bottom