• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"While hunting or camping"

Well, I think you're both right. I believe the law will not only cover the actual act of hunting or fishing, but also walking around your vehicle, gathering your gear, and walking a relatively short distance carrying your gear to the place where you do the hunting or fishing.

And you don't necessarily have to have a hunting license for fishing license, if you're doing those activities on your own property or under other circumstances were a license is not required. But, to avoid being arrested or being ticketed, I would make sure that you really do look like you were on a hunting and fishing trip. Don't try to B.S. your way through it.

Even if you are hunting on your own property, you still need a hunting license. Its free but must have it. If I remember correctly you have to own a certain amount of land for an honorary license.

Even if you are hunting on your own property, you still need a hunting license. Its free but must have it. If I remember correctly you have to own a certain amount of land for an honorary license.
You do not need a hunting license if you are hunting your own land. You simply need a free harvest record for deer and migratory stamps if you are hunting migratory birds.

Do what?:confused:

Information taken out of context is very misleading.
Sorry. If you have a carry permit you can carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle or on a road while going to your hunting site. You don’t need a permit to carry a pistol while hunting, but without the carry permit you must treat it like a rifle and load it once you are 50 ft off the road. Make sense now?

Edit: Separate from hunting you CAN have a loaded handgun concealed in your car, or home(your car is considered an extension of your home) but you CANNOT hunt from a vehicle or a public road, so if you are driving on an improved WMA access road with a loaded weapon a game warden will consider this “hunting from a vehicle”, same goes for the zone 50 ft around an open access road. If you have a concealed carry permit then you can have/carry a loaded handgun, but you must keep your rifle/shotgun unloaded until you clear the road by 50 feet.

It’s kinda stupid that a loaded gun in a vehicle is considered hunting, but too many rednecks ride around with guns and shoot **** from their cars. I knew a ton of fools that did this in their youth, sometimess at night too. Lol

It’s too bad Georgia’s law isn’t worded like South Carolina’s...

People that can carry concealed or openly without a permit:

“Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing.”

You could carry wherever you wanted. Just tote a fishing pole around with you and if the cops stop you just tell them you’re on your way to do some fishing.

Sorry. If you have a carry permit you can carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle or on a road while going to your hunting site. You don’t need a permit to carry a pistol while hunting, but without the carry permit you must treat it like a rifle and load it once you are 50 ft off the road. Make sense now? Why would you go off on a WMA rules and regulations rant? To just make a uninformed statement is ridiculous. I ride any state or county maintained road I please in the state of Georgia with several loaded firearms, they each have have one in the pipe also.:shocked:

Edit: Separate from hunting you CAN have a loaded handgun concealed in your car, or home(your car is considered an extension of your home) but you CANNOT hunt from a vehicle or a public road, so if you are driving on an improved WMA access road with a loaded weapon a game warden will consider this “hunting from a vehicle”, same goes for the zone 50 ft around an open access road. If you have a concealed carry permit then you can have/carry a loaded handgun, but you must keep your rifle/shotgun unloaded until you clear the road by 50 feet. You seem a tad bit confused, but i really don't have the time or patience to clear it up for you.:wacko:

It’s kinda stupid that a loaded gun in a vehicle is considered hunting, but too many rednecks ride around with guns and shoot **** from their cars. I knew a ton of fools that did this in their youth, sometimess at night too. Lol
You probably think that the DNR Rangers have the right to ramble all over private property without a warrant, which is a widespread myth. Sorry, I'm not in the educating mode this AM.:thumb:

You probably think that the DNR Rangers have the right to ramble all over private property without a warrant, which is a widespread myth. Sorry, I'm not in the educating mode this AM.:thumb:

No, this is why I specifically said a WMA road, and not any county road. State game wardens can go where they want though.

Well, I think you're both right. I believe the law will not only cover the actual act of hunting or fishing, but also walking around your vehicle, gathering your gear, and walking a relatively short distance carrying your gear to the place where you do the hunting or fishing.

And you don't necessarily have to have a hunting license for fishing license, if you're doing those activities on your own property or under other circumstances were a license is not required. But, to avoid being arrested or being ticketed, I would make sure that you really do look like you were on a hunting and fishing trip. Don't try to B.S. your way through it.
You don’t need a permit on your own property anyway.

Yeah, good point. I had a brain fart and forgot about that.
The old law said in your own home.
Now it says on your own property, even if there's no home there and it's just acres of undeveloped forest.

So, if you're hunting and fishing with your buddy on his own property, you've got to have a GWL and the appropriate hunting / fishing licenses. But your buddy doesn't need either of those things.

Back
Top Bottom