• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who deer hunts with 45-70?

Seriously? You guys are hunting white tail with a 375 Holland and Holland? I mean, do what you want but that seems like using a howitzer to breach balsa wood.
It’s less then 2000ft per sec. Its a big slow bullet. It doesn’t damage the meat like you think. It’s almost exactly the same as shooting them with a muzzle loader.

I shoot a Marlin Guide Gun, JM stamp, ported, with standard Remington 45-70 300gr. It groups the best in my rife. Also got a scout scope on mine and ghost ring sights.

My uncle told me if I wanted to shoot my 30-30 I should stay on the wagon with the women. Its 45-70 or nothing!

It’s less then 2000ft per sec. Its a big slow bullet. It doesn’t damage the meat like you think. It’s almost exactly the same as shooting them with a muzzle loader.
I'm not worried about damaging the meat. I just think it's a bit over kill, using a round designed to take down water buffalo and kudu on an animal four or five times smaller.

I'm not worried about damaging the meat. I just think it's a bit over kill, using a round designed to take down water buffalo and kudu on an animal four or five times smaller.

For me it was about shooting an effective cartridge with a hand cast bullet. The total coast of handloaded ammo for me was in the cents per round. Light recoil and in and out terminal performance. What's not to like?

Seriously? You guys are hunting white tail with a 375 Holland and Holland? I mean, do what you want but that seems like using a howitzer to breach balsa wood.

I always hunted with a 308 or 30.06. One year I tried a 12 gauge slug. The deer did not move, just collapsed, I’m sure he was dead before he hit the ground, I could not believe the size of the entrance and exit holes and how much interior stuff it blew out the exit hole. I almost felt bad for the deer, only he didn’t feel a thing. I was impressed with the performance of a big ol heavy slug.

For me it was about shooting an effective cartridge with a hand cast bullet. The total coast of handloaded ammo for me was in the cents per round. Light recoil and in and out terminal performance. What's not to like?
Like I said, no harm, no foul. You do you. But for the above criteria, .308 fits the bill and is both cheaper to shoot and doesn't require a rifle that will set you back almost $1000.

300 gr win hp same size in and out
Screenshot_20200101-195139_Gallery.jpg

Back
Top Bottom