• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who do you like to do a transmission swap?

Do the math

A Carolla that old Probabaly isn’t worth spending much to repair
Depending on “how much” is the key.

A vehicle that works has a certain intrinsic value as a transportation device. The options being a new (expensive) car with payments and insurance to match. Or another pos that she could end up sinking more cash into.

The devil you know is preferable to the devil you don’t.

Depending on “how much” is the key.

A vehicle that works has a certain intrinsic value as a transportation device. The options being a new (expensive) car with payments and insurance to match. Or another pos that she could end up sinking more cash into.

The devil you know is preferable to the devil you don’t.

Well a used transmission that you can’t drive before you go to all the work of installing is quite a risk

And a new transmission plus install cost will be $3,000 for a car that’s only worth $1,500 after it’s running again

And even new transmissions are a risk

I’ve seen people buy reman ones and swap in in and it doesn’t work and they have to remove it and get a warranty replacement
Which doesn’t cost any extra but the seller doesn’t cover the labor of doing it twice or three times until they finally sell you a transmission that actually works

There are 3 different automatic transmission for that car. Most common is the 4 speed with the 4afe engine.

Runs $300 plus tax and core from Salvage Hunter in Austell. Install on the 4 banger is simple enough. You should be able to get out of the job for about $750ish total with new fluid, filter kit, and misc other items.

Worth it with gas being a little high at the moment

I had a 95 that had a strong transmission.
How many miles are on it?
I suppose you have checked the fluid level warm while idling?
Did you do a fluid swap?
I read some stuff online and ended up replacing all the solenoids inside the transmission. Two of the old ones were bad. One of the new ones was bad also.

We changed the fluid and it runs better. Except now the front end makes a terrible noise. But only when you slow down to stop. It is not brakes. So I am guessing cv’s.

Strange how it never happened before.

I had a 95 that had a strong transmission.
How many miles are on it?
I suppose you have checked the fluid level warm while idling?
Did you do a fluid swap?
I read some stuff online and ended up replacing all the solenoids inside the transmission. Two of the old ones were bad. One of the new ones was bad also.

We changed the fluid and it runs better. Except now the front end makes a terrible noise. But only when you slow down to stop. It is not brakes. So I am guessing cv’s.

Strange how it never happened before.

The first thing I did to mine was change the CV axles. They didn't make the typical clicking when turning.
They caused a horrible vibration.

Also, my best improvement was to replace all the lugnuts. The conical shape that centers the wheel had been deformed from twenty years of use.
That removed all the remaining vibration.

Back
Top Bottom