• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who else is drooling over the new Savage?

Dont want to hijack thread but benelli sells a 300wm semi for around 1200 bucks. Not really a tacti cool rifle though.

I get that, but it has been done and engineered so honesty a CNC program for reciever and the most important part the BCG
Like i said at 1500 i would ready to burn up my credit card.
It is never that easy but one dream.

For one thing, the BCG on a semi-auto .300WM and .338 Lapua ain't made of the standard steel that 5.56 and .308 BCG's are made of. That alone drives the price up. Everything is substationally beefed up and non-proprietary. You ain't gonna find a NIB .300WM AR.

The Benelli R1 and the Browning BAR (also available in .300WM) ain't an AR-type.

I've got a .338 Lapua AR-type rifle; the DRD Tactical Kivaari. Quite a lot of engineering and material changes.

I wouldn't say I'm drooling to get my hands on another AR that ain't any different from anyone else's AR. I'm glad to see more companies making AR's and hope that the Savage MSR are good ones.

Hopefully, their fit and finish is quite a bit better than their bolt guns. A few things have me a little concerned, like the plastic dust covers on the 5.56. If they are going that cheap by replacing an already inexpensive steel part with plastic, where else are they cutting corners? Aplastic dust cover is BS in an M4 with an MSRP of $n the cheaper DPMS and S&W M&P-15 Sport II have steel dust covers.

The bores appear to be Melonite QPQ instead of hard chrome. That ain't good or bad, just an observation.

Personally not crazy about the .223 Wilde chambers, would prefer 5.56 NATO, but it ain't a deal breaker for me. The 5R rifling is interesting. Can't think of anyone else doing 5R rifling in a non-SPR AR.

I like to see more arms on the market, and more folks making them. Savage has a large fan base and I'm sure those folks would like to give a Savage M4 a road test. If this gets back rifles in the hands of more Americans, then good on them.

The 2 larger framed rifles are, again, inline with comparably equipped rifles from similar companies.

I think a lot of folks thought "Savage" and automatically figured their AR's would be cheaper than everyone else's, like their bolt actions are cheaper than most. Their bolt action is basically 2 tubes screwed together.......takes a lot more to machine AR receivers and barrels.

The Benelli R1 and the Browning BAR (also available in .300WM) ain't an AR-type.
I think a lot of folks thought "Savage" and automatically figured their AR's would be cheaper than everyone else's, like their bolt actions are cheaper than most. Their bolt action is basically 2 tubes screwed together.......takes a lot more to machine AR receivers and barrels.

Thanks cmshoot, you saved me the time to reply about the Benelli R1.

Just out of curiosity, where did you find information about the plastic dust cover? I've looked around and haven't seen anything about that. I did find a close up photo of the it and it appears to be a usual metal dust cover.

Thanks cmshoot, you saved me the time to reply about the Benelli R1.

Just out of curiosity, where did you find information about the plastic dust cover? I've looked around and haven't seen anything about that. I did find a close up photo of the it and it appears to be a usual metal dust cover.

Maybe they changed it. In the first videos/pics, it was obviously plastic.

Here's the video where I saw it.

Looks like that dust cover is on the 308 versions or maybe just on the long range model. The standard MSR15 look like a standard metal dust cover. I doubt they would have went cheap on the dust cover for their higher end MSR if the lower cost models are standard style.

Back
Top Bottom