• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who here knows about exterior security cameras?

I need to run some surveillance :peep::spy::peep:. I was planning on buying something from Best Buy since I have a $250 gift card but their Swann brand stinks in the CS and software dept. Can anyone make any recommendations? I know diddly squat about this kind of stuff. I'm planning on running a wired system since I'll be putting them at existing flood light locations. I'm in the process of getting know'd up but with our redneck powers combined...
Here's an example of the day time video quality.
90376653863e240483b636105e7d6f96.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

My buddy got a Vivint system and he really likes it. I run a home server (just a desktop computer with no monitor in the attic, but has remote access) and a software called Blue Iris. I run a combo of hardwired cameras and wifi cameras. Blue Iris has remote access and a phone / iPad app that works great, and can send text alerts on motion for individual cameras as well as recording on motion. You have to be a little techy though and if you are not I recommend an out of the box solution, with cameras on the eves of your attic.

I have the Arlo system and like it. Battery life is dependent on how often the camera is triggered. I’ve gotten 8 months out of the ones in the back and 4-6 on the two in the front.
Another vote for Arlo. Motion activated, completely wireless and therefore can be put anywhere, HD (pro) FREE cloud storage up to five cameras for 7 days then auto deletes but you can download it, really nice web interface and great night vision.....

I have a 3 camera system on my condo.

I run Qsee brand wired hd sysytem. Has a large hard drive for recording, night vision, and an app for remote viewing. Works good for me, but requires running the wire and mounting cameras.

Security Camera Warehouse - absolutely top quality in my opinion, FREE consultation and support. If I have questions, I always get an immediate answer. Have their cameras and NVRs in two locations, running Power Over Ethernet (POE) for the cameras. One is a 4-camera setup and the other (lake house) is an 8-camera setup. They may not be the cheapest but, if you want quality, you will get it.

https://www.security-camera-warehouse.com/

I don't remember which brands and which models are good or bad, but I'll tell you this:

As a criminal attorney who's watched a crap-ton of surveillance camera videos from stores, factories, banks, restaurants, and people's homes, I can say that 90% of them are too blurry or grainy (low resolution) to use in actually identifying the suspects. What most of them are good for is determining the number of attackers, roughly their size and weight, and if they show exposed skin, their skin color. Many bad guys where long pants, long sleeves, ski masks, sunglasses and gloves. That's their effective response to security cameras.

If you can afford it, go with high resolution cameras and a lot of different angles, so at least some of the time the bad guys will have to face a camera directly.

P.S. Not to go off-topic, but also consider "hardening" your home's windows and doors, so that the criminals will have to spend more time getting in. That's more time for them to appear on camera. More time for one of them to work up a sweat and maybe pop that hoodie back or take off his sunglasses while wiping his face. Consider better locks, reinforcing doors and door frames, putting shatter-resistant plastic on glass windows and sliding glass doors (you can puncture it, but you can't easily tear your way through the opening).

Back
Top Bottom