• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who hunts oconee?

FF/ Trader

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
29   1
Reaction score
I missed last season due to work and no club. And it's not looking good for this year on finding a club to join. I live in Jackson and oconee is just a short ride for me but I never hunted national forests. Can someone help me out with rules regulations? I can pm on here call or txt I will be glad to meet up and talk. I know nothing about hunting national forests please help.

The 2016-2017 Rules and Regulations book, should tell you all you need to know about legally hunting on a WMA.

As far as "Safety" It could be a mad house on the weekends and holidays.

The folks that have the most success, usually hunt during the week, and hunt wayyyyyyyyy down deep in the woods.

I wouldn't leave it up to what someone said to be legal or illegal activities on a WMA, you should read it for yourself.

It's not like hunting private property, they have their own set of rules, and you wave a lot of your rights when you enter a WMA.

Thanks I have read regulations just need clarification on alot of it.

There is no clarification. The DNR Rangers can't even give you an answer, unless they decide to write you a citation.

It's written that way so you stay confused and the DNR Rangers can prey on your ignorance as they desire.

Third graders could do a better job of writing the "Rules and Regulations".

When reading the rules for Oconee make sure you are reading the portions on federal lands. It is not that hard. But beware of Doe days which are few. Hunting can be hard but if you put in time scouting you can kill a good buck. There has been several 150 class and bigger killed over the last several years. Time in the woods pays off. If there are some rules that confuse you contact Federal ranger Zach Nichols #706-816-4915
I hunt here often and it can pay off with a nice kill.

■ OCONEE NATIONAL FOREST 706.485.1776

DEER ARCHERY » Either Sex: Sept. 10-Oct. 14 » During Firearms Deer season, archers must follow Firearms either sex dates on the National Forest.

PRIMITIVE » Either Sex: Oct. 15-21

FIREARMS » Buck Only: Oct. 22-28, Nov. 1 - 25, Nov. 28-Dec. 4
Either Sex: Oct. 29-30, Nov. 26-27, Dec. 26-Jan. 1

TURKEY Mar. 25-May 15

SMALL GAME Aug. 15-Feb. 28

FERAL HOG Aug. 15-Feb. 28. Small game weapons only. No night hunting. No hunting with dogs.

SPECIAL REGS No dog training Jun. 1-Aug. 15. Pursuit of bears with dogs pro - hibited. Pursuit of feral hogs with dogs may occur only Aug. 1-Sept. 9; Jan. 2-Mar. 19; May 1-25 during legal daylight hours. Prohibited: Transportation of any loaded weapon in a motor vehicle. Possession of alcohol when hunting. Placing, leaving, or depositing and food, bait, or garbage in a manner likely to attract or concentrate any wildlife, whether for purposes of hunting or viewing animals. Failure to properly store food or garbage so as to prevent access by wild - life. Coyotes may be hunted during open seasons with weapons restrictions for game species in season. No night hunting. Electronic calls may be used.

Back
Top Bottom