• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who is a Jeep Cherokee Expert?

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
Upon fill up- Gas smell?

I have a strange problem...have a Cherokee 1993 4x4 2.8L manual. Every time I fill up, I get a very heavy gas smell emanating from near the rear of the vehicle, near the filler tube. I look underneath, there is nothing leaking. The tank has some superficial rust spots on it, but again, nothing is leaking. Rubber fill tube is intact.

Could it be possible that I have a rotted rubber fuel line with holes on top of the tank, and that is where the smell is coming from, or do I have a rotten tank on top, hence nothing is leaking?

Also, with the windows rolled down, I can smell it heavily coming into the vehicle.

Since I am a newbie with Jeeps, how hard is it to take down the tank and inspect for holes or damaged fuel lines?

None of the gas odor is coming from the engine bay, as that is what I thought of originally.

There should be a rollover valve and vent line associated with the tank. You are due a new grommet and the line is probably cracked going to it. Google it and you will see what you are looking for.

I assume the tank has to come down to replace, correct?

Depends where the line is split, IIRC, the valve itself sits on the frame rail at or slightly above the top of the tank.

If you need a valve, and find it is discontinued (some around that time are no longer available anywhere), you can use a PCV valve and make a holder for it and adapt it to the lines on each side of the original valve.

HAve you found an online PDF version of the workshop manual yet? They are a free download hat pops up from time to time (sorry, do not have a current link) .

rilliver.jpg

My manual is a couple years older than your model, but It should be the same or very similar.

This shows the valve in a grommet in a corner of the top of the tank, a rubber vent line attaches and goes to the engine compartment.

Back
Top Bottom