• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who is a kayak or canoe camper?

Bryan

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
184   0
Reaction score
I'm thinking I would like to start doing some camping. But I'm thinking kayak or canoe. Because I don't want to have to carry everything on my back. Any recommendations on a boat or places to go or people to go with would be greatly appreciated.

I love kayak and canoe camping. I think that sit inside kayaks are better than sit on tops for camping as they usually have more storage space. But since I usually have kids in tow and a whole family's worth of gear, the canoe is king.

IMG_0551.PNG

I have an older model of this canoe (Old Town Camper) and it carries a load. It isn't too good in white water but for easy rivers and lakes it is perfect.

I canoe and kayak camp. Kids, wife, dog or friend plus gear make the canoe the obvious choice. For solo camping, or camping with a buddy/buddies who have their own boat, then a kayak is king.

me and my buddies do it when we can though i actually use a small 10ft jon boat. were doing the altamaha river in may

I just ordered an old town next canoe. So I will be looking for someone to get on the water with. I am brand new. Will need to start putting together some camping gear.

Some friends and I plan a trip every year on Memorial Day weekend. It's usually no kids, so me and the wife in a canoe. Some of the single guys use kayaks. We float the flint river just north of Montezuma, about 12 miles total. The weekend before, the guys float down to pick out a sandbar and cut a stash a firewood for the camp.

As far as supplies, 2 coolers (one for fish and one for drinks/food), small grill, charcoal in waterproof bag, bag with clothes, chairs, tent, fishing gear, the usual stuff. Mosquitoes are terrible the closer you get to the wood line, carry a therma-cell. There isn't a lot of room to move around once you pack all that in a 16' canoe. I usually pack the stuff in the back so my wife can lay back and tan while I fish up front. And last year I cut the bottom out of a 5 gallon bucket and then wrapped a pool noodle over the top lip to make a comfy potty, wife was happy about that.

IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0284.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG

I still haven't got my paddle or my life vest. But I mounted some tiedown points on the hood of the truck and on the bed so I can Tie the canoe down.
Next the hammock.

Back
Top Bottom