• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who is a kayak or canoe camper?

eagles_nest_outfitters-junglelink-hammock-shelter-system.jpg

I think I am getting the jungle nest from ENO.

Some friends and I plan a trip every year on Memorial Day weekend. It's usually no kids, so me and the wife in a canoe. Some of the single guys use kayaks. We float the flint river just north of Montezuma, about 12 miles total. The weekend before, the guys float down to pick out a sandbar and cut a stash a firewood for the camp.

As far as supplies, 2 coolers (one for fish and one for drinks/food), small grill, charcoal in waterproof bag, bag with clothes, chairs, tent, fishing gear, the usual stuff. Mosquitoes are terrible the closer you get to the wood line, carry a therma-cell. There isn't a lot of room to move around once you pack all that in a 16' canoe. I usually pack the stuff in the back so my wife can lay back and tan while I fish up front. And last year I cut the bottom out of a 5 gallon bucket and then wrapped a pool noodle over the top lip to make a comfy potty, wife was happy about that.

.......this is very good info.

View attachment 1146462 View attachment 1146464 View attachment 1146465
I still haven't got my paddle or my life vest. But I mounted some tiedown points on the hood of the truck and on the bed so I can Tie the canoe down.
Next the hammock.

get a whitewater paddleing vest ($80-100), not a fishing vest. much more comfortable and safer when you need it. most of the time you are not going to wear it anyway. and move your boat up further forward on the truck. build a saw horse to the right height to do so. get your craft horizontal. it makes a big difference when you're going 60 down the hwy. any paddle will do if you are floating downstream, the cheaper the better. drag a piece of chain behind the boat to slow you down if you plan on fishing.

Reactions: MRM
Been canoe camping several times a year for the past 10+ years. I'll give you my top three rules.
1. Dry storage
2. Dry storage
3. Dry storage
In no particular order. Just assume you're going to dump your canoe. Also make sure you tie everything down to your canoe so when you do flip you're not chasing everything down river. I like 5 gallon buckets with gamma seal lids, you can get them at home Depot. Holds a lot of gear and doubles as a camp seat or table. I like the roll up water proof bags you can get at any sporting goods store. I usually put them inside a tougher Military style bag to protect them from getting punctured. Ammo cans work great for smaller stuff, like your handgun, wallet, cell phone, keys.

Having said all that, I very seldom flip my canoe. Can't even remember flipping once in the past few years. But more often when I have it wasn't in the shoals but instead just simple things like standing to take a leak, trying to get a lure un stuck from a tree, trying to catch a beer tossed to me from another canoe, or just goofing off with friends. Don't assume cause there's no white water on your trip you can't flip. Plus you'll just enjoy the trip more knowing that your gear is secure and waterproof.

Take an extra paddle, if you break yours or drop it in some shoals you're gonna be screwed of you don't have a spare. Learned that the hard way when I almost flipped and dropped my paddle in a long set of shoals, it was a bitch chasing that thing down stream without a spare, so I always keep an extra shorter one within easy reach now.

As far as food goes I like to keep it simple. Trail mix, beef jerky, and energy bars. I have a small burner that screws on top of one of the small propane tanks and a frying pan for cooking fish. Usually take a little olive oil and lemon pepper for the fish.

Here's a pic of my typical setup. Small tent, air mattress and clothes in the water proof roll up bag that's inside of a tougher bag. Small burner, propane tank, flash light, and whatever else I can stuff in the 5 gallon bucket. Personal stuff in the ammo can. Lots of beer in the cooler. Remember to add 35% to your most liberal estimate of beer consumption for the weekend to make up for spillage and just to be safe.
IMG_20170422_212957945.jpg
IMG_20170422_213100343.jpg

Reactions: MRM
Did a week of canoe camping in Quietico Provincial park across border from the Boundry Waters back in the early 1990s. Was an awesome trip and I learned the word portage is French Canadian for the word HELL.

Don't get the ENO junglenest, the mosquito will bite you through the bottom as it is only a single layer. Best to get a clark jungle hammock or a warbonnet blackbird as they are double layer hammocks and have bugnets. Cost a little more but way more comfortable. Eno hammocks you end up laying like a banana. The clark and the warbonnet hammocks are asymmetrical which allow you to lay dam near flat. Hennessy hammock are also asymmetrical too. But if your budget is only for ENO hammocks you can lay at an angle to achieve a flatter lay. Also if you go with eno it's cheaper to get a one link kit which comes with the hammock, rain tarp, stakes for the tarp, bug net that isn't attached to the hammock and the tree straps.

Also check out the kayak kaddy. It's a trailer that you can tow behind the kayak or canoe and pack it full of gear. And it's dry storage. You could get a couple of them and tie them to each other and to the canoe.

As far as the life jacket goes try them on and get what's feels comfortable to you. And as far as what the other guy mentioned about not wearing it, disregard that comment, best to keep it on at all times because it may never happen but you never know, your sugar could drop or hydration get low and if you pass out and end up in the water with no life jacket, well we know how that will go. If you get one that is comfortable or one that automatically inflates when it contacts the water, you won't even mind wearing it.

Back
Top Bottom