• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who is this?

My vote is John Foster Dulles.
I think you're right! Maybe this wasn't 1952 but 1953? He was SecState for Ike in '53...But, clearly, what do I know???

220px-Senator_John_Foster_Dulles_%28R-NY%29.jpg

The guy in the three-piece suit is John Foster Dulles. He was in Korea before becoming SOS in 1953. He worked on the drafting of the UN Charter and was the first US delegate to the UN. I seem to remember reading about him being in Korea for some stuff as early as 1950. Don't think the other guy is Robert McNamara. He was one of the group turning Ford around all through the early 50's and became the 1st non-family president of Ford. He didn't get into politics until Kennedy appointed him in 1960 that I know of.

The gentleman in the three piece suit could be from one of the executive Departments such as Defense or State - an Ambassador was mentioned as a possibility above. He could be an Ambassador from an allied country - The UK for example...He could be the Armed Services Chairman from the House or the Senate. He could be a defense industry company president getting shown how his company's equipment did or did not work as the Army/USAF/Marines/Navy needed it to.

If that's an official photo, there may be others taken at the same event which could have accompanying documentation in the Library of Congress. You'd have to really bear down on the research to turn up a name for this guy. Or if your Google-fu is particularly strong, you might find a match in some other archive on the interwebs...Good luck! You'll need some...
My grandfather took that picture. That was the only one I saw from that particular event.

As for the shotgun... it appears to be a Stevens Model 620. He and the guy on the left seem to be holding a 620. The guy in the middle may be holding a Winchester model 12

Back
Top Bottom