• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who makes the best DA/SA pistols these days?

I guess I need to look at some other CZ’s. The CZ 75 compact in our stable feels like a heavy, clumsy attempt at a SIG P228. It shoots fine but kind of rough around the edges.

CZ's don't have the same level of fit and finish as SIGs (they don't have the price tags either), and there are some typical weak spots on them. Most people I know find the ergonomics of them exceptional though, and they are typically very accurate.

Plus, like 1911s, you can pretty much replace every part in them with something from the aftermarket to make them as 'custom' as you want.. or can afford.

I have a CZ P01 for HD because I like the 14 + 1 capacity. But I also have a lighter plastic, sort of ugly, but easy to rack, strip Springfield XDE. The XDE has a combo safety/decocker that allows different carry options (SA cocked & locked, DA & locked or DA w/o safety). Plus it's 1/2 the price of the CZ's and Sigs. Probably not the best if money is no object, but it a nice lower cost, reliable option for something extra to keep in the car or boat.

I know what you're saying there... I just swapped a LCR to a friend for a S&W Sigma (long story), and while I always remember it having a terrible trigger (it still does), after doing some research it's probably not a bad HD gun.

They are a lot more reliable than I would have thought for a $200 gun, and the ergonomics aren't bad at all. It seems to point pretty naturally and it's also more accurate than I expected.

I don't think I would carry it, but I was thinking about another police trade-in to keep in the 'basement', but I think the Sigma will do just fine instead.

I’m surprised I don’t see many people list FNs. They get my vote. My pride and joy is my fnx-9. Never getting rid of it.
A3373EA8-4416-4BB0-93F9-DEC4FE0E2925.jpeg

I'm looking for other double/single action semi-auto handgun options out there (not revolvers).

I've tried a few, like the Sig P229-P226. I know about the Beretta 92 series, M9 series and the PX Storm series. Never cared much for Beretta's design because you tend to get dirty from powder blowback out of the exposed barrel. But I haven't tried them all, either.

What else is out there that I'm missing? Who makes the best double/single action semi-auto pistols today?

Manufacturer + model if you know of one.

CZ 75/85 gets my vote.

Just picked one up today WOOOHOOO.....prob should shoot it first, but whatever WOOOHOOO !!! Read all the comments and cant go wrong with any of those. CZ, SIG, HK, BERETTA, FN, WALTHER, and even saw a TRISTAR in there(I had a C100, great CZ clone). All great guns. I do want that SIG P229 though.

CZ.

HK and Sig DA/SA triggers are garbage.

3rd Gen Smiths and Beretta would be a distant runner up behind CZ

Only DA/SA guns I have any interest in is CZ.

Back
Top Bottom