• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who Plays a Musical Instrument?

i play guitar. all aspects. strong on rhythm and super strong on lead. and i love the lydian mode, ever mess with lydian dominant? #4 and b7. its cool. although obviously it comes down to the chord progression. i reeeealllllly like harmonic minor and phrygian dominant. after all, its just a harmonic minor scale from the 4th position! cant beat that! im using that a lot for the TV show im writing. the ladies love it
Ooooooo b7. I like me some b7. Never mixed it in with the Lydian. Gotta try that!

Most of what I play centers around the minor scales and have always liked the tone and feeling it gives. But because I'm not formally trained, I've always done things through trial and error. So I really haven't studied the modes too much. I could learn a thing or twenty from you.

i have 12 lifetimes worth of music material. the thing that scares people about modes is that they just dont know what it is. since you like minor, lets take dorian for instance. its just a minor scale (1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7) with a natural 6. So, 1,2,b3,4,5,6,b7. That natural 6 gives it it's unique tone. therefore you want to focus on that. Modal music is just focusing on the unique notes that create the scale. like look at herbie hancock's modal music. maiden voyage is a great one if you want to start learning modal music as it is a dorian song. so:

Ionian (Major) 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-octave
Dorian- 1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7-octave
Phrygian- 1-b2-b3-4-5-b6-b7-octave
Lydian- 1-2-3-#4-5-6-7-octave
Mixolydian- 1-2-3-4-5-6-b7-octave
Aeolian (Minor) 1-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7-octave
Locrian- 1-b2-b3-4-b5-b6-b7-octave

so put the proper chord progressions together, focus on those unique notes, and avoid your tritones in lydian if you are just playing the scale over a non lydian chord progression!

i have 12 lifetimes worth of music material. the thing that scares people about modes is that they just dont know what it is. since you like minor, lets take dorian for instance. its just a minor scale (1,2,b3,4,5,b6,b7) with a natural 6. So, 1,2,b3,4,5,6,b7. That natural 6 gives it it's unique tone. therefore you want to focus on that. Modal music is just focusing on the unique notes that create the scale. like look at herbie hancock's modal music. maiden voyage is a great one if you want to start learning modal music as it is a dorian song. so:

Ionian (Major) 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-octave
Dorian- 1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7-octave
Phrygian- 1-b2-b3-4-5-b6-b7-octave
Lydian- 1-2-3-#4-5-6-7-octave
Mixolydian- 1-2-3-4-5-6-b7-octave
Aeolian (Minor) 1-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7-octave
Locrian- 1-b2-b3-4-b5-b6-b7-octave

so put the proper chord progressions together, focus on those unique notes, and avoid your tritones in lydian if you are just playing the scale over a non lydian chord progression!
Thanks for that. You just just clarified a ton of stuff for me. I think the first thing I'm gonna do is see how they sound arpeggiated and try to incorporate them into sweeps -- which I suck at, by the way.

Can the Lydian be considered a diminished mode? The #4 can technically be considered a b5.

Thanks for that. You just just clarified a ton of stuff for me. I think the first thing I'm gonna do is see how they sound arpeggiated and try to incorporate them into sweeps -- which I suck at, by the way.

Can the Lydian be considered a diminished mode? The #4 can technically be considered a b5.
no bc its 1-2-3-#4-5-6-7. a dimininshed arpeggio is 1-b3-b5-bb7. therefore, lydian doesnt contain the b3, bb7 (thats a double flat 7). basically, it a major scale with a #4.

Major Modes:
1) Ionian (Major scale) 1-2-3-4-5-6-7
2) Lydian 1-2-3-#4-5-6-7
3) Mixolydian 1-2-3-4-5-6-b7

all have natural 3rds which is what gives the most characteristic of the chord (how you know its def major or def minor)

Minor Modes:
1) Dorian 1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7
2) Phrygian 1-b2-b3-4-5-b6-b7
3) Aeolian (Minor Scale) 1-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7
4) Locrian 1-b2-b3-4-b5-b6-b7

all have minor 3rds which gives the minor tonality.

Lydian

guitar-scales-lydian.jpg

Aeolian

th

I think I mixed up the Lydian and Aeolian modes... Notice the same pattern from the "A" string up to the high "e". It's the same. I rarely ever play the Low "E" so never paid much attention to the notes there. I generally play from the "A" up to "e". The root is what matters.

Back
Top Bottom