• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who uses the slide lock for a slide release???

Do you use a slide lock for a slide release

• Total voters
poll fail. No option for, "No, it teaches bad habits that are hard to repeat under stress with poor motor skills"

I use the "slingshot" approach.

Technically, it is a "Slide Stop". Like NWS said, its a bad habit to get into it. You need every bit of spring you can to re-engage battery so gripping the slide and pulling it all the way back is a much more proficient habit to get into.

Some target shooters use that method butno one who has been trained properly to use a handgun for self-defense uses this method.

That technique uses fine motor skills which degrade terribly in the stress of a fight or during combat.

The majority of the best schools/teachers strongly recommend/teach the "overhand" method followed by the "slingshot" method.

I use the slide stop/slide release (depending on platform). It is the fastest way to get the gun back into action. For me it's a question of do I use the right or left thumb (again platform dependent).

For the "gross motor skill" argument, wouldn't manipulating a trigger, releasing a magazine or deactivating a safety be fine motor skills? The definition needs to be clarified: gross motor skills involve the arms... fine motor skills use the fingers.

ETA: Whichever method works for you practice it and move on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom