• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who's ready for turkey season?

Just ordered the Carlsons LongBeard XR choke. Talked to them on the phone and they say shooting with the Winchester LongBeard it will put 182 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards. I shoot the LongBeards anyways but was wanting to try a different choke this year. Can't wait for it to get here.
I heard those are really good, with what the Kicks choke did for my shotgun I just can't justify breaking down and spending the money on one. Shooting a bird at 20 yards is almost too close. Between 30-40 yards is the sweet spot but at 50 I still had like 80 pellets on a paper plate.

I always heard people going back and forth on whether #4 or #6 was the best so I just went in the middle so I had more range than one and more shot than the other! :D

Yeah just remember to keep your shot around 30 and you'll have flopping turkeys in no time!

The heavyweight loads made by Federal weigh 15 g/Cubic centimeter, making them the heaviest of the Heavyweight loads.
Remington's Heavy 13, hence its name, weighs in at 13g/cc
Federal Heavyweight 7's weigh as much as a standard, copper plated lead #5 and carry a very high pellet count, even in a 3" magnum shell. Also consider the decreased diameter, which will help with down range penetration. All of that combined makes the Federal Heavyweight #7's a very lethal load, even beyond 40 yards. I'm not one to take long shots on turkeys, as I enjoy calling them in close-that mindset has costed me several birds as I've missed chip shots on birds called in way too tight. I try to seal the deal at the 30 yard plane, so the shot has time to open up to a decent diameter pattern. The high pellet count and down range performance has won me over.
The proof is in the pudding, as I've been using that load since it came out. I was skeptical at first, but they have not let me down. I've misjudged range on 2 birds that crested the top of a ridge-both were beyond 50 and went down like a bag of hammers. If you have not tried the #7's, I'd urge you to give them a test shot or two. I've achieved my best patterns at .655-seems that too much constriction with Heavyweight loads tends to blow the patterns.

The heavyweight loads made by Federal weigh 15 g/Cubic centimeter, making them the heaviest of the Heavyweight loads.
Remington's Heavy 13, hence its name, weighs in at 13g/cc
Federal Heavyweight 7's weigh as much as a standard, copper plated lead #5 and carry a very high pellet count, even in a 3" magnum shell. Also consider the decreased diameter, which will help with down range penetration. All of that combined makes the Federal Heavyweight #7's a very lethal load, even beyond 40 yards. I'm not one to take long shots on turkeys, as I enjoy calling them in close-that mindset has costed me several birds as I've missed chip shots on birds called in way too tight. I try to seal the deal at the 30 yard plane, so the shot has time to open up to a decent diameter pattern. The high pellet count and down range performance has won me over.
The proof is in the pudding, as I've been using that load since it came out. I was skeptical at first, but they have not let me down. I've misjudged range on 2 birds that crested the top of a ridge-both were beyond 50 and went down like a bag of hammers. If you have not tried the #7's, I'd urge you to give them a test shot or two. I've achieved my best patterns at .655-seems that too much constriction with Heavyweight loads tends to blow the patterns.
Sounds like a heck of a shell. When I go through the couple of box's of XR long beards that I have I'll give them a side by side comparison. Sounds really promising. I got hooked on these shells that I have now and last year they made a believer out of me. My gun holds a heck of a pattern with them as well.

17201440_1241072795999566_7409530059586316738_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom