• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who's ready for turkey season?

New to turkey hunting. Seen some every time I go deer hunting. Tom's appeared to be more elusive.
A few questions I need help with:
1) Can I hunt out of a climber or do I have to be on the ground (snakes)?
2) Crossbow or 870?
3) What mods would each need for turkey hunting?
Thanks

Sounds like a heck of a shell. When I go through the couple of box's of XR long beards that I have I'll give them a side by side comparison. Sounds really promising. I got hooked on these shells that I have now and last year they made a believer out of me. My gun holds a heck of a pattern with them as well.
The Benelli Nova I use patterns the Longbeard XR #5's the best. I have killed 3 with that setup and that load really impressed me.

New to turkey hunting. Seen some every time I go deer hunting. Tom's appeared to be more elusive.
A few questions I need help with:
1) Can I hunt out of a climber or do I have to be on the ground (snakes)?
2) Crossbow or 870?
3) What mods would each need for turkey hunting?
Thanks

I have hunted turkeys for many years. No i would never hunt out of a climber. There are some mornings depending on the property I am hunting and what the birds are doing that will make me decide if I can get set up here and feel confident enough that I can call them to me. If not and the birds fly down from the roost and go the opposite direction I wanted them to go then I will not take the blind at all I will somewhat stalk them. Make a semi circle around them and i will be calling while i am doing this to locate one so i can figure out how to get set up on him.

There is other mornings that I know for a fact that shortly after sunrise there will be hens and toms be boppin their way right into that field so I already have my blind set up for that field just waiting for the right one.

Other mornings if i have found where they have roosted I take no blind and stay back off the trees a little bit and as soon as they hit the ground i start talkin sexy to em to draw them to me and my decoys.

I would suggest a decent blind since your being new and you can move your hands and pick up your stuff off the floor in a blind and if your careful your likely not gonna get busted. Turkeys have extremely good no great eyesight and will pick you off with their eyes. So if you just go out and lean up against an oak tree you need to as still as possible scratching on your new call or tryin out that box call. Don't get me wrong you can do it just keep good vision out there before you start talkin sexy to em. I have done it many of times and it has brought in many birds but once I see a bird comin in i stop with mu hands and use my mouth call so my hands are free to lift the shotgun and make a shot when it's presented.

Crossbow or 870. I hunt with a Remington 870 Express Super Mag and it knocks em down every year. Have never done it with a cross bow but have come close to bringing my bow once or twice but keep grabbin the shotgun. If it were me I would start off with the shotgun and put a couple on the ground with it and you will also be able to see how they act when they come in and think would you make this shot it you had the crossbow.

Probably left some stuff out and I do not claim to be a professional turkey hunter but I am fortunate to have private property to hunt with a lot of turkeys and I have always gotten at least 2 and sometimes 3. Depending on how much I am in town from work. This is all what I have done and it has worked for me and there are some other great hunter that im sure will help with advice as well hikingthehills hikingthehills

^^^^ Well said. Here is my $.02 worth.
Setup is crucial. Knowing where a gobbler wants to go or how he will approach your setup is something that varies because no two turkeys are the same. I've had some that were rather timid and liked to travel roads. I've had some so red hot that they came through a thicket to get to me. Learn to read the bird and you will know how and where to set up. Once in a while they are totally unpredictable.

Avoid over calling. Less is more some times. If you get a bird to respond he knows where you are. They can pinpoint you after hearing you once. Keep quiet and see if he gobbles at you in anticipation of an answer. If so, give him the silent treatment. Tease him with a few purrs, some light scratching in the leaves, a cluck or a Kee-kee. This will usually tear them up and they most often come in on a string.
When you hear crows, Hawks, Pileated Woodpeckers, etc calling, stop and listen. Sometimes you'll hear a bird shock gobble at them. I tend to use locator calls such as those to locate a turkey and then throw hen talks at him once I pick a setup location. That gives me more time to think about my setup, which most often pays off. Learning how, when, what type of call to throw at a turkey takes years to learn. Most often, soft and seductive gets them killed. A good slate or glass call is great for soft calling. Learn to use a mouth call proficiently for close up calling.

Full camo is a must-mask and gloves. Turkeys are good at picking us out of their surroundings. If you can see a bird coming in, go ahead and get your sights fixed on him and follow him in until he gets within range-that way you don't get busted getting your gun up when he is already within range. I've been busted making my final adjustments with a bird in gun range. As mentioned above-a tent blind will help with staying concealed. If set up in a likely location in a tent blind I'd opt for he crossbow. Turkey don't usually spook when one gets killed with archery gear. They'll stick around and try to get a few cheap shots in on the dying bird if he doesn't run off. You may get a chance at a double.
For run and gun style hunting, I'm going for the shotgun. It's a lot easier to carry and maneuver in the woods.

IMG_4956.JPG
I got one in my back yard the other day.
Let me see if I have the pics.... I took a photo before I pulled the trigger on that turkey.

I'm using an old woodland camo 835 with a Kicks choke with Federal 3rd degree 3.5" loads. It patterns great, just a little to the right. Any suggestions?
Adjustable iron sights or a red dot/scope would remedy this. Or, keep it simple and adjust your aiming point to get your pattern on target.

^^^^ Well said. Here is my $.02 worth.
Setup is crucial. Knowing where a gobbler wants to go or how he will approach your setup is something that varies because no two turkeys are the same. I've had some that were rather timid and liked to travel roads. I've had some so red hot that they came through a thicket to get to me. Learn to read the bird and you will know how and where to set up. Once in a while they are totally unpredictable.

Avoid over calling. Less is more some times. If you get a bird to respond he knows where you are. They can pinpoint you after hearing you once. Keep quiet and see if he gobbles at you in anticipation of an answer. If so, give him the silent treatment. Tease him with a few purrs, some light scratching in the leaves, a cluck or a Kee-kee. This will usually tear them up and they most often come in on a string.
When you hear crows, Hawks, Pileated Woodpeckers, etc calling, stop and listen. Sometimes you'll hear a bird shock gobble at them. I tend to use locator calls such as those to locate a turkey and then throw hen talks at him once I pick a setup location. That gives me more time to think about my setup, which most often pays off. Learning how, when, what type of call to throw at a turkey takes years to learn. Most often, soft and seductive gets them killed. A good slate or glass call is great for soft calling. Learn to use a mouth call proficiently for close up calling.

Full camo is a must-mask and gloves. Turkeys are good at picking us out of their surroundings. If you can see a bird coming in, go ahead and get your sights fixed on him and follow him in until he gets within range-that way you don't get busted getting your gun up when he is already within range. I've been busted making my final adjustments with a bird in gun range. As mentioned above-a tent blind will help with staying concealed. If set up in a likely location in a tent blind I'd opt for he crossbow. Turkey don't usually spook when one gets killed with archery gear. They'll stick around and try to get a few cheap shots in on the dying bird if he doesn't run off. You may get a chance at a double.
For run and gun style hunting, I'm going for the shotgun. It's a lot easier to carry and maneuver in the woods.
This is very important! He may respond to every yelp or cluck gobbling his head off and it's awesome listening to it but the problem is lot's of times they'll get within 100 yards and just stop and strut waiting on the hen to cover the last little distance. It took me a while to understand this. After I get one responding to me I'll shut up, even though I know he's hot I'll give him maybe 15 minutes before I call again after getting him to gobble a couple of times. After about 15 minutes I'll call again and if he's closer I know he's on the way and I'll keep still and shut up. It's best to let him come find you. If he gobbles again and is farther away thats when the running and gunning kicks in. Try to use the lay of the land to move without being seen and guess which way he's going and try to get somewhat in front of him. Turkey hunting is like a rednecks game of chess. To out smart a weary ol tom is a battle of the wits and these things are smart. You have to remember everything in the woods wants a turkey dinner. Be patient and be prepared to get addicted.

Lot's good advise is in this thread for a new turkey hunter. To me a good box call and knowing when to use it will have you eating a turkey dinner in no time. Also I like a good turkey vest. It help keep everything where you want it without having to fumble through a backpack to grab something. Their lightweight and have the seats built in. I have this one and really like it. http://www.cabelas.com/product/clot...tegory/Mens-Turkey-Vests-Chairs/103950180.uts

Back
Top Bottom