• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Whos the expert on rear ends around here?

harrycalahan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
Ya we’re talking cars here. Backstory>> Purchased my 2011 Vic in Dec of 19 with 86k miles. Rear end made noise when I got it. The pinion had lost its preload (typical of the 8.8”). Rebuilt it with all new bearings and set preload in the upper teens. Drove it for 18-20k miles with no issues. Then the pinion started leaking. Not dripping. Just left a damp film on the case. Pulled the rear cover and checked everything over. Magnet had typical fine metal on it. Nothing suspicious in the case. Gear set still wearing good. Backlash still good. So I figured the failure was simply a cheap seal that came with the Timken rebuild kit since it wasnt an immediate failure. It was green in color and the new timken seal I got was the typical orange Timken color. Installed the new seal and looked the yoke flange over real good. No lip so I just scotch brited it and buttoned it up. Kept the same crush sleeve and verified preload again at 15 inches (yes with the carrier installed still) and loctited. Final torque was 140’ish. Well here it is 4k miles later and leaking good. No noise. Just wet. The only thing out of the ordinary I found from the second tear down was between the inner pinion race and the Od of the pinion journal, the oil was black like it had been cooked. Almost as if the inside race had been spinning during coasting. So now Im thinking that while the car was driven without preload on the pinion prior to me getting it, that wore the face of the pinion shoulder preventing a good lock even with proper preload. Anyone here experience anything similar? I would just buy a new gear set to eliminate this possibility but you cant get 2.73 gears anywhere that Ive found and I like this ratio for highway use. Going to check runout on the flange before tearing down again. Hoping something obvious jumps out at me. This is getting pretty annoying...

I've had to put two sets of gears in my Camaro's 12 bolt this past month.

First set was mfg'd by Yukon...total junk !! Bad heat treat and gears chewed up under a 100 miles.
From my experience, used to be a good brand years ago.
Was told by a good friend with 45 yrs experience setting up gears that most are made in India now. :(

Upon his recommendation, I custom ordered a set of 3.73 from Moser. Took 3+ weeks to arrive, cost double, but are the ONLY gears made in the USA
Running awesome.

And we now have to use a truck pinion seal...pass car one no longer available.
Only difference is you can't totally seat the truck seal or it'll get cut...gotta leave it shy about a 32nd

Do you get and drive shaft vibration?
No vibrations at any speed or under load. I staked and phased the driveshaft the way it was when I got the car. Whether or not it was the original position from the factory, I dont know. Im considering buying a new 1350 style flange (bolt flange now) and new joints while Im there and see if if it continues to leak with a new one. If it does, then I’ll go from there.

I like to think I am. I'm very adept at spotting the big ones. Does this count?

upload_2021-5-26_9-41-54.png

Starting to feel a little bit of yolo and thinking about using this as an excuse to throw some 4:10’s in it. Going to do some run out checks tomorrow. She’s really starting to leak good...

Back
Top Bottom