• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why all the hate for the .40S&W

Im no ballistic guru but its my understanding it pushes a heavier bullet faster than a 9mm and that results in better FP of Energy in a body and better penetration through barriers. Compared to 45 it pushes a medium size bullet faster than a 45 and that results in better FP of Energy in a body and better penetration through barriers. you loose 2 rounds compared to 9mm and double the rounds of a 45. You can drop a 9mm or 357 sig barrel into one usually easy giving you an alternative if needed. The only down side is a bit more recoil and barrel/spring wear which most people will never see happen unless they shoot very very often. If you can shoot it as accurate and quick as a 9mm then why not? Id rather have a bit more umph pushing my pellet. I tend to shoot a 45 a bit better than a 9 or 40. So for a home gun ill pick up my Shotgun. :shocked:

Picked this bit of info up in the forums. If only shot placement counts, how many people would select 9mm pistol as a great round to hunt deer or for a emergency backup in bear country?

Its a compromise cartridge? Compared to what? 10mm? Because if you say it is a compromise cartridge when compared to 10mm I'll give you that...It's like when people say ".40 short and weak..." Compared to 10mm? Sure, but compared to 9mm or .45 that is hardly the case.
Yes. But 9mm wasn't born from 45acp.

10mm -> 40s&w are directly related and attributed to the inability of LEO's to competently operate their side arms in 10mm.

That's why they call it short and weak. It was created to be a softer shooting 10mm. That's it.

Reactions: MRH
Back
Top Bottom